reunion / meeting

cesrob

Italian
Hello!
Could you please tell me if "reunion" and "meeting" are exact synonimos and if they should be used in different contexts?
Thanks
Rob

• Matching Mole

England, English
    No, a meeting is any kind of gathering of people, a reunion is a meeting where people get back together. For example a school reunion, where former students meet up again after they have left school.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    They are not synonyms at all.

A "reunion" need not be a "meeting". For example, a "family reunion" in which members of a family travel to one location to see each other and to enjoy each other's company, is like a dinner or a party, but it would not be anything like a business meeting.

A reunion also requires that the people have a prior connection -- for you cannot reunite something that was never united before. It is very common, on the other hand, for "meetings" to involve people who have never seen each other before, and who are complete strangers to each other.

cesrob

Italian
    Thanks for the explanations. I got confused since in Italian the word "riunione" means both meeting and reunion.
    Thanks
    Rob

Roger80

Portuguese
    I've found an excelent explanation about reunion and meeting on this blog: comodizeremingles.blogspot.com.br - Perfect !:):thumbsup:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Meeting" in English means exactly the same thing as cognates of "reunion" in several Romance languages, including French and Spanish, and perhaps others I don't speak, as well as Italian. "Reunion" is a false friend. You will have to forget its meaning in your native language while you are speaking English.

< Previous | Next >