Reusable vs Usable

icytuvi

Vietnamese
Hi everyone,

I am seeking your advice as to which word - 'reusable' or 'usable' - should be used in the following context:

- A fire occurred in a printing shop. After the fire, an inspection was carried out to determine the extent of damage to affected items for the purpose of insurance claim, from which a printer was found unable to operate as normal. In this case, which of the sentence below is more appropriate:

- The printer is not reusable (after the fire).
- The printer is not usable (after the fire).

My choice is 'usable', but I am not really confident and would appreciate your clarification.

Thank you very much.

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Welcome to the forum, icy! :)

Be confident!

"Reuse" is usually used for things which are otherwise discarded after using them once.

"These are reusable tissues/paper cups".

icytuvi

Vietnamese
    Welcome to the forum, icy! :)

Be confident!

"Reuse" is usually used for things which are otherwise discarded after using them once.

"These are reusable tissues/paper cups".
    Thank you, Englishmypassion :) It is confusing when there's this way of thinking:

An object is being used --- something happens, interrupting its operation --- Then it is put on use once again (and some people would think of using 're-use').

I'm having quite an argument on this :D

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I would only say "The printer is not usable anymore", not "reusable". But I wouldn't like to get into any argument directly, especially not with women. :)(I can only support you here). :)

icytuvi

Vietnamese
    Okay, sure. How in the world could you be got into trouble by being that much supportive :-D

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I agree. If the printer can be saved, it can be used again, but that's not quite the same as re-used, which contrasts with being disposed of after one use.

< Previous | Next >