reveal for you; reveal to you; explain for you; explain to you

< Previous | Next >

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
I just saw two sentences.
These movies will reveal the mystery of rapture for you!
They will explain for you how to identify the voice of the Bridegroom
I'm a little confused. I looked up on the Internet, and I saw that people usually say "reveal to you" and "explain to you."
Is it natural to use "reveal for you" and "explain for you"?
Thanks in advance.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Neither are natural. I wonder if the writer was thinking of "for your benefit", which just about works in the first example, but does not really fit in the second, with "for you" next to the verb. Most likely they simply chose the wrong preposition.

Michelle Green

Chinese
    Neither are natural. I wonder if the writer was thinking of "for your benefit", which just about works in the first example, but does not really fit in the second, with "for you" next to the verb. Most likely they simply chose the wrong preposition.
    Thank you.
    If we change "for you" to "to you," in both sentences, are they natural?
    These movies will reveal the mystery of rapture to you!
    They will explain to you how to identify the voice of the Bridegroom

Uncle Jack

British English
    Yes, "to you" would be fine in both sentences.

It would be more common to use the present tense "reveal" instead of the future "will reveal" in the first, since the movies have (presumably) already been made, but the future tense is acceptable, putting it into the context of the viewer (who presumably hasn't yet seen them).

Michelle Green

Chinese
    Yes, "to you" would be fine in both sentences.

It would be more common to use the present tense "reveal" instead of the future "will reveal" in the first, since the movies have (presumably) already been made, but the future tense is acceptable, putting it into the context of the viewer (who presumably hasn't yet seen them).
    Thank you:)

< Previous | Next >