reveal the white support beneath

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
The following description from the book Art and War by Laura Brandon is about this artwork. I think the bold section is wrong, because in the image of the artwork show that the letters are black rather than white. Am I right?

Context:
Mea Culpa (1999), meaning the acknowledgment of fault or error, took her thinking further.8 It consists of four white rectangular supports, 0.5 x 6 metres, attached to walls that carry curved strips of flecked grey lint collected from a dryer. Letters, seemingly cut in the lint, reveal the white support beneath.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Unfortunately, the photograph is not helpful - in fact, it may be deceptive. The letter "appear" (and I emphasise "appear") to be black (or, at least, grey) but that may be caused by the shadow on the sides of the lint.

The example says "seemingly cut" and I do not understand that part:

Does she mean that the whole thing is a photograph and the letters are printed with a white drop shadow to give the impression of having been cut?
    Or does she not understand how it was done, but the whole thing is three-dimensional, and she thinks that it seems as if it were cut?

If they are cut, it is likely that the letters are relatively deep, and the white background can only be seen on close inspection.

Last edited:

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    Unfortunately, the photograph is not helpful - in fact, it is deceptive. The letter "appear" (and I emphasise "appear") to be black (or, at least, grey) but that may be caused by the shadow on the sides of the lint. It is likely that the letters are relatively deep, and the white background can only be seen on close inspection.

If the writer has actually seen the artwork, then I would tend to believe her.
    I forgot to paste the rest of the passage from the book:

In fact, Kelly attached vinyl letters in Helvetica typeface to the filter of the clothes dryer in her garage. While drying thousands of pounds of black and white cotton clothing, she slowly created texts on the lint trapped against the screen. The words derive from media accounts of politically motivated atrocities before the International War Crimes Tribunal.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    And I amended my #2 while you were posting.... :D

Your additional text seems to indicate that, as Lingobingo's comment :)thumbsup:) suggests, we are not looking at the artwork that is referred to.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)

In fact, Kelly attached vinyl letters in Helvetica typeface to the filter of the clothes dryer in her garage. While drying thousands of pounds of black and white cotton clothing, she slowly created texts on the lint trapped against the screen. The words derive from media accounts of politically motivated atrocities before the International War Crimes Tribunal.
    Is this process like what I think that "she glues vinyl letters to the inside of the dryer and attaches the five lints constituting the artwork on the letters. Then she uses the dryer to dry thousands of pounds of different clothes without changing the vinyl letters or the lints. So, with the pass of time the lints receive color from the vinyl letters in the form of a printing process"?

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    That seems unlikely - (i) vinyl does not leach its colour; (ii) the lint is grey.
    regardless of the way of the appearance of the letters on the lints, am i right about the process? Are both the vinyl letters and the lints attached and fixed inside the dryer and, while they are there, the dryer is used to dry piles of other clothes?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Well, that is what the description says, so, "Yes". I suppose that is how she produced the quantities of lint.

Myridon

English - US
    There's nothing being done inside the dryer.
    The lint screen of her dryer looks something like this one:

After doing drying the fabric, it looks like this one :

She peels that lint off the screen and glues the letters to it.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    There's nothing being done inside the dryer.
    The lint screen of her dryer looks something like this one:

After doing drying the fabric, it looks like this one :

She peels that lint off the screen and glues the letters to it.
    Aw, I got it now. Thank you very much for the images . Is that your own dryer? :D

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The artist has based her texts on media accounts of documented military atrocities in Cambodia and Sarajevo, Palestine and South Africa. Each work is made of compressed lint produced by drying laundered black clothing -- thousands of pounds of it -- in a domestic dryer. The dryer's curve-shaped filter screen was fitted with letters, so that words were gradually embossed as sheets of lint formed.
    ART IN REVIEW; Mary Kelly -- 'Mea Culpa'

< Previous | Next >