Revel in the tragedy

poedgar

Ukrainian
Hi everyone.
Dictionaries show me that 'revel' means to have pleassure, however in the text I am translating that meaning seems to contradict the sentences afterwards.
Here are the piece of text I am talkin about:

Ferrari talked about the war, about how he had bought
land to build a small factory in the nearby village of Maranello. Machine tools had been fabricated for the Italian and German
armies until the Americans had bombed it twice. He seemed to

revel in the tragedy of the devastation, of the lost business,
but Chinetti suspected otherwise. He knew him as the consummate actor, as a man who dwelled in the pathos of the moment, draining from each word, each grandly constructed phrase, the last drop of drama. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

It's from Ferrary by Yaets.

Am I wrong? Can you shed light on it? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    the text I am translating that meaning seems to contradict the sentences afterwards.
    I disagree. The following sentences actually describe (i) the outward appearance of Ferrari, and then (ii) the reality.

It would have helped if you had formatted the paragraph properly ->

- (i) He seemed to [remove the line-breaks] revel in the tragedy of the devastation, of the lost business, [remove the line-break](ii) but Chinetti suspected otherwise. He knew him as the consummate actor, as a man who dwelled in the pathos of the moment,

He seemed to revel ... = It was as if he revelled...

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    He seemed to enjoy (revel in) the drama and pathos of his story. So he did enjoy telling his story that way, but in fact things weren't as bad as he made them seem.

poedgar

Ukrainian
    But does it make sense for a person to revel in the loss of buisness he or she possesed. To me it makes more sense if he seemed to be shocked by it, athough for real he was not because the buisness was not lost completely.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    But does it make sense for a person to revel in the loss of buisness he or she possesed. To me it makes more sense if he seemed to be shocked by it, athough for real he was not because the buisness was not lost completely.
    You are describing the difference between yourself and Enzio Ferrari - you are not commenting on the use of language.

poedgar

Ukrainian
    Thank you, guys, you are likely to be right, of course. Just to make sure I was on the right track.

< Previous | Next >