reversal: is the right word for specific soccer games?

I would like to know which is the right word for cases (OK they are rare) like this one: assume a football match between two teams such as Bayern Munich against Arsenal. The half time score is 0-1 (thus Arsenal wins during first 45 minutes), but during second half Bayern will score two times, so the final score will be 2-1.
When the home team loses at half time and wins in the final time, how we call this event?
Similarly when the home team wins at half time and loses in the final time.

Thanks in advance.

• dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Any team that is losing at half-time but goes on to win the match is said to have come from behind (at half-time). It doesn't just apply to the half-time situation either. A team that is behind with 10 minutes to play, and goes on to win, comes from behind.

Barque

Tamil
    I think there is not a specific term in English as in my first language.
    Dermott suggested a specific term - "coming from behind". A term doesn't have to be one word.:)

(thus Arsenal wins during first 45 minutes)
    When the home team loses at half time and wins in the final time,
    You can say "is winning/losing" or "seems to be losing" but not "wins" or "loses". The half-time score isn't a final result.

sound shift

English - England
    "Reversal" in the football context is a journalistic term (one that you won't hear from real fans) meaning "defeat".

For the context in post 1, you can say "Bayern came from behind (to win)", as dermott suggested. You can also say: "Bayern turned the game around" and "Bayern went 1-0 down, but staged a comeback, eventually winning 2-1" (but a team can make a "comeback" without winning).

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So there is not any noun which describes this rare occasion?
    Βecause come back/turn around are phrasal verbs; are not they?
    You should realize, however, any learner of English is confused because of many differences between English and his/her first language.
    (I recall being confused when I tried to learn some Greek - it usually happens when learning a second language:))
    I am not surprised there is a single word in Greek for a winning comeback, but am a little surprised that there are two different words based on whether the win is achieved by the home team or the visitors!

< Previous | Next >