reverse the lever

< Previous | Next >

novice_81

German
Hi

Henry Thomas Hamblin in his book The Power of Thought writes: In the following pages an attempt is made to show how the reader can, by changing his thoughts and mental attitude, "reverse the lever" and come into harmony with the Divine Idea.

Does "reverse the lever" mean "change into reverse" like in a car?

• conduit_girl

English- United States
    Can you provide more context? It sounds like he is using a metaphor and possibly a car metaphor but more context is needed to determine. What are the preceding and following sentences?

novice_81

German
    Can you provide more context? It sounds like he is using a metaphor and possibly a car metaphor but more context is needed to determine. What are the preceding and following sentences?
    We live in an orderly Universe, but we do not react harmoniously to our environment, we are not in correspondence with the hidden law and order around us. It is not necessary for the universe to be altered; what is needed is that we ourselves should be changed. Within ourselves is the cause of the disorder in our individual world - for we each live n a little world of our own creation - therefore, the disorder and trouble that afflicts us, or the lack that restricts our lives, can never become overcome, save by a change of mind, habit of thought, and mental attitude. In the following pages an attempt is made to show how the reader can, by changing his thoughts and mental attitude, "reverse the lever" and come into harmony with the Divine Idea. When this is accomplished, his life will blossom like the rose, "he shall be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break before him into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands".

conduit_girl

English- United States
    Thanks. I would say this is not a car metaphor, rather, he is saying that we are the causes of our own misfortune ("Within ourselves is the cause of the disorder in our individual world") and we have the power within ourselves to change this "by a change of mind, habit of thought, and mental attitude," so if we change ourselves we can "reverse the lever" (i.e. change the application of force from a direction of ill to a direction of good).

Last edited:

novice_81

German
    so if we change ourselves we can "reverse the lever" (i.e. change the application of force to a direction of ill to a direction of good).
    Hi

Shouldn't it be "from a direction of ill"? From a bad direction to a good direction?

But doesn't the phrase "reverse the lever" literally mean "change the gear into reverse" and we're just supposed to use our imagination now and interpret it correctly?

conduit_girl

English- United States
    Whoops I'm sorry!! I will edit my original comment. And I believe your literal interpretation is correct as well, although it would only be a matter of "gears" if the car metaphor was still in play... he does put quotes around "reverse the lever" so maybe that metaphor is his intention.

< Previous | Next >