revert on your availability

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

tievoli

P.R.China
Hi, I would like to get your comments on the usage of "Revert", for example, quoted as below in blue. Your kind replies will be highly appreciated!

Dear Sirs,

Ref the ToR sent by our David on 19 Sept 2008 on the above subject, I would like to enquire if there is any chance I can pay a visit to you either next Monday or Tuesday.

Please revert on your availability.

• meowser

Flemish and English (midwest U.S.)
    In this sense, I think it means "to go back to", or "to refer to".

Revert is often used to go back to a state of being. "She reverted to her old ways", for example.

The sentence in blue seems a little strange, though. Are they trying to say that they want you to change your previously stated availability?

meowser

In the U.S., I don't think you'd ever hear it this way. But perhaps other English-speaking areas.

tievoli

P.R.China
    Yes, this usage is often appeared in the areas like Singapore and Malaysia, maybe the south-east countries, but I am not sure if it is a correct usage, can it be used in this way?

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Hello everyone,

To avoid 'reinventing the wheel', you might want to take a look at this previous thread *(even if it does ramble a bit ;)).

* Actually it rambles quite a lot, so these are the relevant posts: 1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 19-21, 24-32, 34-37 (or just read it all anyway :rolleyes:).

From that thread (and from this present one), it seems to be a predominantly Indian English usage. Actually I have seen it used occasionally in UK and elsewhere in Europe, but only in recent years — possibly coincident with the huge upsurge in hotlines and call-centres based in India?

W:)

Last edited:

meowser

From that thread (and from this present one), it seems to be a predominantly Indian English usage. Actually I have seen it used occasionally in UK and elsewhere in Europe, but only in recent years — possibly coincident with the huge upsurge in hotlines and call-centres based in India?

W:)
    Ooh, good point! ...and that's where we start getting into the evolution of language, where discussing "standard English" can get awfully muddy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >