review <all that / what> I learnt.

< Previous | Next >

nima_persian

Banned
persian(فارسی)
I would like to review all that I learnt.

I would like to review what I learnt.

I would appreciate it very much, if somebody could readily explain the difference between those.

In addition, I am wondering how you can distinguish such a difference?

And, could you please elaborate your explanations? as I am too confused about it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    They mean the same. 'All that' is explicit about the idea "all", but 'what I learnt' is likely to mean all of it too, not just part of it. You can't say 'all what', so you have to change it to 'all that'.

Salvage

USA English
    Here is how I would interpret these two phrases.

"all that I learnt" would indicate a block of related knowledge or information. For example, knowing all the possible material for a test on the human skeleton. The response would be detailed, but finite. It's possible to interpret "all" literally, meaning absolutely everything one knows, but I find it difficult to imagine a situation where one would want (or be able) to review literally everything one knows.

"what I learnt" feels more general. The enumeration of the knowledge might be broader, more inclusive. For example, "I learned to ski, I learned to swim, etc.," rather than the naming the micro-maneuvers involved in each skill. "What did your learn?" "I learned how to knit."

I feel, however, that you could safely use these phrases interchangeably in conversation. The differences are subtle and situation/context dependent.

< Previous | Next >