revival of sorts

• minederien

French
    Thank you for your quick answers.
    I understand the phrase now.
    Could you please give me an example in everyday English of the usage of this idiom?
    I hope I'm not asking too much :)
    Mille mercis

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Thank you for your quick answers.
    I understand the phrase now.
    Could you please give me an example in everyday English of the usage of this idiom?
    I hope I'm not asking too much :)
    Mille mercis
    Just search google, and I'm sure you'll find some. It would be better if you could give us an example you're curious about or at least be more specific about the type of context you're interested in.

minederien

French
    If revival of sorts is possible, would a celebrity of sorts be correct? or a palace of sorts (while referring to a luxurious house) or a museum of sorts (a house with many paintings hanging on the walls) ?

Last edited:

JamesM

Please note that it's "of sorts" or "of a sort", and yes, palace or celebrity or museum could all be modified with "of sorts." They would all mean to me that the person or thing had some aspects that were similar to the category but were not entirely qualified to be in that category.

"He's a celebrity of sorts in our town" means to me that is known well in our town but does not have the status of a true celebrity. "Her house is a museum of sorts" would mean that she has quite a collection of things in her house but she doesn't have public hours or an admission fee, for example.

< Previous | Next >