revolutionary vs revolutionist

< Previous | Next >

olga69

"revolutionary vs revolutionist"
[Topic question added to post. DonnyB - moderator.]

Can anybody, please, explain the difference?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
  • olga69

there is no context, just try to understand the difference, because the dictionary gives almost the same definition

1. a person participating in or calling for a revolution
    2. a person who advocates or takes part in a revolution.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Quite honestly it is pointless looking in dictionaries when you have no context in mind, or comparing dictionary definitions to find differences between words. You need to look at usage. Google the two words and see how they are used. For these particular two words, Google Ngram viewer tells you practically everything you need to know: Google Ngram Viewer

Revolutionary is common, revolutionist is almost unheard of.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As we don't discuss words or phrases out of context here, olga69, please give us the sentence in which you would use the word, and explain the situation in which you would write or say it.

olga69

As we don't discuss words or phrases out of context here, olga69, please give us the sentence in which you would use the word, and explain the situation in which you would write or say it.
    O.K.
    For example, I am addressing to a person who is very active and rebellious in terms of political situation and ready to fight for his/her beliefs

heypresto

English - England
    I would take Uncle Jack's advice in post #4. 'Revolutionary' is a pretty common word. 'Revolutionist' is very rare. In fact, I had never seen or heard it until I read this thread yesterday.

< Previous | Next >