<revolving roster> of wigs

artekhound

Russian - Belarus
How I escaped my certain fate by Stewart Lee

At first he faltered, as well he might,
After ten years out of the light.
But he cut such an eccentric figure with his tight red suit
And revolving roster of wigs that the student pricks were initially too confused
To go in for the kill, and before they knew it
He had their goodwill.
Stewart Lee wrote the appendix to his book in a poem style. He writes about his friend, who he performed stand-up with. His friend [Malcy] returned to stand-up after 10 years being out of it. His perfomance is eccentric (wigs, costumes). Does revolving roster mean that Malcy changed his wigs in sequence (one after the other)?

Thanks in advance

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Does revolving roster mean that Malcy changed his wigs in sequence (one after the other)?
    He had many wigs and he wore different ones at different times. Although "roster" would normally refer to a laid out sequence or timetable, I am not sure that it is meant quite literally here. It is clear from his confusing the "student pricks" that he changed his wig repeatedly within a single show. "revolving" probably means that each wig was worn several times, but it might be that the sequence changed each time.

artekhound

Russian - Belarus
    He had many wigs and he wore different ones at different times. Although "roster" would normally refer to a laid out sequence or timetable, I am not sure that it is meant quite literally here. It is clear from his confusing the "student pricks" that he changed his wig repeatedly within a single show. "revolving" probably means that each wig was worn several times, but it might be that the sequence changed each time.
    Thanks a lot :)

suzi br

English / England
    Stewart Lee is a comic genius, so
    In addition to telling us the facts he chooses ways of writing to make us smile.
    Uncle Jack has given you the glossary but note his point that roster isn’t a common word for this. Neither is “revolving”. It creates a rather bizarre concept. The alliteration isn’t accidental either.

It’s not LOL hilarious but it adds to the humour of the whole piece. .

< Previous | Next >