Riaccreditare

sheryl.709

English-American
Hello everybody,

I'm translating the case history of an ad campaign agency and I'm stumped by the use of "riaccreditare" in the following sentence:

CHALLENGE
Riaccreditare (company name) sulla comunicazione dei valori ambientali in chiave consumo-consapevole ingaggiando un target trasversale dai 25 ai 55 anni.

My take:
CHALLENGE
Restoring (company name) via the communication of environmental values with an eye to being consumption-conscious by engaging a transversal target aged 25 to 55.

As I understand it in this context "riaccreditare" means to restore faith in someone/something, but somehow "restore" doesn't sound quite right.

Any suggestions are welcome!

• The problem is that riaccreditare doesn't mean what the author wants it to mean. It's an accounting term (credit a sum)
    It should be "ridare credito", that roughly means "make the company regain (lost) credibility".

theartichoke

English - Canada
    If the company really managed to tarnish its reputation, you could use "Redeeming." You've got to have done something fairly bad to need "redemption," though. :)

sheryl.709

English-American
    The problem is that riaccreditare doesn't mean what the author wants it to mean. It's an accounting term (credit a sum)
    It should be "ridare credito", that roughly means "make the company regain (lost) credibility".
    Yes, I agree with you Paul. That's why I'm having such a difficult time with it as some parts are not written well in Italian.

If the company really managed to tarnish its reputation, you could use "Redeeming." You've got to have done something fairly bad to need "redemption," though. :)
    That's the thing, the company didn't do anything that would seriously tarnish its reputation...it's a chain of supermarkets and to my understanding they're just trying to show customers that they care about the environment. They even have a whole branded line of eco-friendly products.

sheryl.709

English-American
    Are you/we sure that the author here means "via/through the communication..." etc.?
    Again, the italian phrase as it is doesn't actually make sense, which makes any attempt to translate even more difficult.
    Actually, I'm not sure...but I was trying to tackle one problem at a time. :p A friend who works in Marketing suggested changing the sentence to give it a more positive connotation:

Drawing attention to (company name) by communicating environmental values with a focus on being consumption-conscious engaging a transversal target aged 25 to 55.

sheryl.709

English-American
    This makes sense of course, but it's not the translation of the original sentence..
    Did you come up with this because you know what they meant to say?
    Yes, I asked the client and this was the gist of they meant...of course it wasn't clear at all from the original Italian sentence.

Thank you Paul and Starless for your input.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    If you don't have more of this kind of laborious jargon to translate (and maybe even if you do :) ), you could just put the same idea into idiomatic marketing-speak. Maybe something like Add value to [name] by communicating our priorities in environmentally-conscious consumption: target audience ages 25-55.