Rich Food

< Previous | Next >
  • baldpate

UK, English
    Definitely plain food. Tabacs bland works as well. Another possibility is simple food. The differences are subtle; I would say:
    plain food is prepared and cooked in a simple way, but the food itself may be quite varied.
    bland food is food with little savour, no sharp, strong, outstanding tastes.
    simple food is that which uses very limited numbers of ingredients, which undergo little cooking or preparation.

Your other suggestions don't work:
    poor food is of low quality, the opposite of good food.
    pale food if the opposite of ... dunno! - colourful food maybe? : we don't use pale to categorise food.

KHS

The opposite of rich food is pale food/plain food/ poor food?

Thanks a lot to everyone who can help me!
    :)
    "Rich" for me has the idea of high fat content (possibly high sugar content). For me, I don't believe it is related so much to the idea of spiciness, so I probably wouldn't contrast it with "bland." Instead, I might use "simple food." "Plain" is probably good, too.

Karen

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    The opposite of rich food is pale food/plain food/ poor food?

Thanks a lot to everyone who can help me!
    :)
    To me, rich food = greasy food (oh well, more or less :rolleyes:)

I would probably use "light food", but that's just me.

Edit: Hey, I love that avatar! :)

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    "Rich" for me has the idea of high fat content (possibly high sugar content). For me, I don't believe it is related so much to the idea of spiciness, so I probably wouldn't contrast it with "bland." Instead, I might use "simple food." "Plain" is probably good, too. Karen
    That's what rich food means to me: lots of cream, calories, etc.

To me, rich food = greasy food (oh well, more or less :rolleyes:). I would probably use "light food", but that's just me.
    Edit: Hey, I love that avatar! :)
    Greasy, yes, to a point. I would rather say "unhealthy" for greasy food (hamburgers, chips and the like). I agree with the "light" option. IMO, "rich" food is heavy (on the stomach and metabolism), therefore "light" (or or at a pinch "healthy / wholesome") has my vote.

Packard

USA, English
    I think "rich" food has a biblical origin.

It was reiterated in Milton's Paradise Regained. Jesus had just spent 40 days without food or drink, and the devil offered him a rich tableu of foods:

A table richly spread in regal mode, With dishes piled and meats of noblest sort
    And savour-beasts of chase, or fowl of game,
    In pastry built, or from the spit, or boiled,

And then later:

Alas! how simple, to these cates compared,
    Was that crude Apple that diverted Eve!

I think "rich" food was the food of nobility. By and large these were the same as described in earlier posts: rich in calories, protein, fat, etc.

< Previous | Next >