Richal from Richard

aparecido

English - UK
Curious one this - undoubtedly slang - possibly also a private joke but why might Richard be changed to Richal

chalado - nutter/nuts/crazy etc..

(You might appreciate I ask since I am the subject of the 'nick' but aren't in a position to ask the nicknamer why?)

Subject: Moderate Paranoia!!!

• juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    I think it is not offensive whatsoever, it is some sort of, probably voluntary, mispronounce of Richard or Richar. Couriously Richar is also used here for a nickname or shorten of Ricardo.

And chalado is a colloquial way to convey nutter, yes, but it is much more in an affectionate way than derogatory.

aparecido

English - UK
    I haven't given it enough context; it is derogatory. For reasons I'd rather not go into I'd prefer not to give it more 'context'..

Chalado may be my mistaken inference but the Richard to Richal has a 'tangible' derogatory tone

juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    Well, if so, it is not for any linguistic reason but because they have decided to mock at whoever that stupid way. And the same could be said of "chalado", but I insist, none of them is intrisically derogatory, rather the opposite.