Ride a mule while looking for a horse

Lark-lover

Arabic
Hi, folks.

Does anyone know of an equivalent of a proverb or saying or an idiom for this proverb?

Many thanks

Lark-lover

• Lark-lover

Arabic
    Hello.

In which language is this a proverb? What does it mean?
    I roamed over the Internet and that it is a translation of a Chinese proverb.

The meaning is this, I guess:
    Suppose that you have a hooptie car(very used car)and been stony-broke and you feel like to buy a new car.Hence, this proverb is said of your case that you have to keep and use the old car until you get money later one. That is, keep or do what you have until something you wish comes to you or you get it later.

I hope I have expressed myself well.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I knew exactly what it meant when I saw it, but can't think of an English proverb that is an equivalent.

The nearest I can come is "I am making do with this car (or anything else) until I [can] find something better."

To make do with something = to use something as a poor substitute for what is really required.

"I can't find a hammer, so I am making do with this stone." i.e. "I am using a stone as a hammer."

but this does not imply that there will ever be anything better.

"She made do with with dry bread as she could not afford butter." does not imply that she will ever be able to afford butter, so the situation may go on indefinitely.

wandle

English - British
    We have the saying 'Half a loaf is better than no bread', but this lacks the element of taking a step towards something better.

< Previous | Next >