riders were paid for by AA member subscription fees to check

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello everybody!

The sentence in the heading seems a bit confusing to me.

I am sorry but I couldn't squeeze in the heading the rest I am interested in.

The whole sentence reads as follows:

A number of keen bicycle riders were paid for by the AA members' subscription fees to check.

The way I understand the part in the heading is as follows:

The task of the riders was to check and their efforts were covered (compensated for) by AA members' subscription fees.

Am I right?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Baltic Sea,
    I have some knowledge of the background. I think it would help to give the preceding context.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)

The whole sentence reads as follows:

A number of keen bicycle riders were paid for by the AA members' subscription fees to check.

The way I understand the part in the heading is as follows:

The task of the riders was to check and their efforts were covered (compensated for) by AA members' subscription fees.

Am I right?
    I suspect you are, though I don't know what was checked and I'm uncertain about the subscription fees.

A bit more information, as requested, would help.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    A number of keen bicycle riders were paid for by the AA members' subscription fees to check where the police lay in wait and to warn motorists before they reached the spot. AA = Automobile Association.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    A subscription fee = an amount of money paid regularly by members of AA in order to stay (on) in it - in my opinion.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think that confirms that you were right.
    I expect it is referring to the early days of the UK Automobile Association.
    The AA paid the motorcyclists to look out for police who were "lying in wait" for motorists committing motoring offences - perhaps speeding.
    Having spotted something like this, they went distance along the road and signalled to passing AA members, alerting them so that they would ensure they were driving legally at the crucial point :)

They don't do this any more.

PS. Yes, of course, motorists joined the AA and paid an annual subscription.

< Previous | Next >