ridged face

ktm

"Ridge" and "ridged" have so many meanings that's difficult to choose. Can anyone explain the meaning of phrase: "ridged face"? Sorry for the lack of broader context.
---
On his ridged face there appeared a hint of a smile

• Loob

English UK
    Can't you tell us where you found the sentence, ktm? You must have found it somewhere:(

The most likely reference is to wrinkles.

Or possibly scars.

Or perhaps a ridged forehead.

ktm

Can't you tell us where you found the sentence, ktm? You must have found it somewhere:(
    That's one sentence from the book "The Fan Tan Players", by J. T. Lees, originally written i Chinese. As far as I know it's not printed yet, although the English translation is ready. I've got the text of English version in the form of .doc file.

The action took place in Hong-Kong under Japanese occupation in 1945.
    Ridged face belonged to Chinese catholic priest who at this moment drove the car. It was just short impression of Nadia when she looked at him, during the discussion about the general situation in Hong-Kong in 1945.

Loob

English UK
    What our responses boil down to, ktm, is that this is not a usual collocation, and we are having to guess at the meaning.

The translator must have chosen "ridged" for a reason, though it's not clear what that reason was:(

If "ridged" is correct, the most likely meaning is wrinkled.

JamesM may well be right that it's a typo, and the word should be "rigid" or "rugged".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >