ridiculous / laughable price

Ultramarine

Ukrainian
Hello everyone,
Does the word 'price' collocate with the adjectives "laughable" and "ridiculous" to talk about a price that is too cheap?

"$20 for a plane ticket to New Zealand? That's a laughable/ridiculous price!"

Many thanks.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Both words generally have a negative connotation in this context. The only person who would describe a price as "too cheap" would be a member of the seller's management.

Ultramarine

Ukrainian
    Thank you. Are there perhaps adjectives that would have a positive or at least neutral connotation in this situation? I'd like to convey the following meaning: "the price was too low for that thing/service; we were very lucky to have it!"

George French

English - UK
    Hello everyone,
    Does the word 'price' collocate with the adjectives "laughable" and "ridiculous" to talk about a price that is too cheap?

"$20 for a plane ticket to New Zealand? That's a laughable/ridiculous price!"

Many thanks.
    No, just cheap. Selling 'plane tickets, the philosophy is, sell one at a low price, then the price of a ticket goes up. If you want to fly today it costs a fortune. Apparently it works for the airlines.... You pay a low price if you book a long time in advance.

It is called Retail price discrimination.

GF..

If you want to call it "laughable" and "ridiculous" then fine, but it is not too cheap, it seems to be a good business practise, if you get your parameters right.

Last edited:

Ultramarine

Ukrainian
    If you want to call it "laughable" and "ridiculous" then fine, but it is not too cheap, it seems to be a good business practise, if you get your parameters right.
    Thank you everybody for the input. Now I'm not sure I get my parameters right. I must have misinterpreted the meaning of 'laughable' and 'ridiculous'. :confused: Can I ask one more question? How would you interpret 'that's a ridiculous price" if you saw/heard the phrase somewhere, no context?

Einstein

UK, English
    Ridiculous can mean laughable, but it can also mean absurd. If I hear someone say the price of something is ridiculous, I can interpret it as meaning absurdly high.

JamesM

Ridiculous can mean laughable, but it can also mean absurd. If I hear someone say the price of something is ridiculous, I can interpret it as meaning absurdly high.
    So would I. "$55 for a hamburger? That's a ridiculous price!"

There might be some confusion about "laughable". It doesn't mean "fills me with joy so much that I laugh". It means "it is so absurd or unreasonable that it causes me to laugh in derision or scorn."

"Your laughable offer of $50 for my car, which is in good working condition, doesn't even deserve the courtesy of a counter-offer."
    "Your assurance that you love me, after I caught you in our bed with another man/woman, is laughable."

Last edited:

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Yep, that's right. To get back to your original query using laughable and ridiculous, Ultramarine, you could use either of them to qualify "cheap", as follows: "We got these laughably/ridiculously cheap flights to New Zealand with EasyCarpet for $20.
    (By the way, we'd probably say "flights" rather than "plane tickets".)

< Previous | Next >