ridiculously convoluted plot lines

Jignesh77

India- hindi
I am reading "DOG MAN three stories in one DAV PILKEY" .
...and ridiculously convoluted plot lines.
He is in year 2. What does "ridiculously" mean here?
How do we know that convoluted is not a verb and adjective?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Jignesh77

India- hindi
    I am sorry but I still don't get it.
    Is it describing "convoluted"? I know "ridiculous" means silly but then could "convoluted" be silly?
    Sorry I am confused

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It is past participle form used as an adjective. How can it be a verb? There is no subject, but please quote whole sentences so we can explain better.

Uncle Jack

British English
    The plot lines are convoluted (twisted/complex) in a ridiculous way, by which he probably means that they are nonsensical.

If you quoted the entire sentence, which the forum rules require, you would see that "convoluted" could not possibly be a verb:
    There was danger...horror...and ridiculously convoluted plot lines.​
    The verb is "was".

Barque

Tamil
    I am sorry but there is no complete sentence. 1587840148495484432102
    There is. It's spread across three panels.

There was danger...horror...and ridiculously convoluted plot lines.

What does "ridiculously" mean here?
    This is a feature of your posts, so let me ask you--if you don't understand the meanings of the words, how does it matter if something is a verb or an adjective or a relative clause or a third conditional?

How do we know that convoluted is not a verb and adjective?
    It's not a verb, but it is an adjective. What makes you think it isn't? (This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm actually asking you.)

Another feature of your posts is that when someone asks you a question to figure out what you want to know, you reply with "Thanks!" If you answered them, you might get replies that help you understand the sentence.

Last edited:

kalamazoo

US, English
    "convoluted" looks like a past participle, but I think it's just an adjective. You can't 'convolute' something, although you can make something convoluted.

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    The plot lines are convoluted (twisted/complex) in a ridiculous way, by which he probably means that they are nonsensical.

If you quoted the entire sentence, which the forum rules require, you would see that "convoluted" could not possibly be a verb:
    There was danger...horror...and ridiculously convoluted plot lines.​
    The verb is "was".
    What does those "..." mean here?

< Previous | Next >