rien ne nous arrive que nous sachions transformer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble translating this phrase, even though I know what each part of the sentence normally means. The full sentence is:
"L’autre vérité est que jusqu’à notre dernier jour, et même peut-être après, rien ne nous arrive que nous sachions transformer, transmuter."
Is she saying something like, 'nothing happens without a reason'?
(it's from the Preambule of Le roseau penchant by Nadalette La Fonta Six)

• Can you confirm that the text is not "rien ne nous arrive que nous ne sachions transformer.."?
    Yes I can confirm that. I have checked multiple times, including just now after reading your comment, and there is no NE before sachions. Yet it feels to me like there should be. This author has given a TED talk titled 'Rien ne nous arrive par hasard', so I am wondering if that provides a clue to the meaning of this sentence.

misterk said:
    Can you confirm that the text is not "rien ne nous arrive que nous ne sachions transformer.."?

Aaaahh, you are onto something! I think there is a typographical error in my copy of the book. I put your sentence into Google and was taken to Wonder Woman, Nadalette La Fonta Six - Le Mouvement where the same author is quoted as saying: "rien ne nous arrive que nous ne sachions transformer, transmuter"
    Problem solved! Thanks for the tip off!

Status
    Not open for further replies.