rien qui le peigne un peu à mes yeux

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
Bonjour!!

Here is a little French text:

Il arrivait qu'elle me parlât de lui, mais jamais lontemps:des larmes interrompaient bientôt son récit, rien qui le peigne un peu à mes yeux, car ni ma mère ni mes oncles ne me parlaient de lui:....

How can we translate the phrase in bold letters?
I do not understand the use of 'peigne' here in the sentence.

Please give me a hand!
Thanks in advance.

• Madore

French (France)
    Bonjour Puellam audiam
    This is how I understant the phrase:
    She (his mother I suppose) used to speak of him (his father ?) but used to burst into tears immediately, which prevented her from giving details about him: nothing that could help me figure him out, imagine him.
    here peigne is the verb peindre = depict, paint

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    "peigne" here is the verb "peindre" (to paint). My try: "nothing that would give me a picture of him." But perhaps "paint" could be used in English as well?

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
    Bonjour Puellam audiam
    This is how I understant the phrase:
    She (his mother I suppose) used to speak of him (his father ?) but used to burst into tears immediately, which prevented her from giving details about him: nothing that could help me figure him out, imagine him.
    here peigne is the verb peindre = depict, paint
    She is his grandmother. And the man in question is his grandfather.
    But this information does not matter.

Now I have two points to report to you(Grace à vous!)
    1. Now I understand that 'peign' here does not come from the verb 'peigner'. But in this conjugation they('peindre' and 'peigner') look like the same!? C'est ça?:eek:
    2. I still have a syntax problem: why there is a 'qui'(rien qui le peigne un peu à mes yeux) inside? What is its function here? I mean, it looks like to me the writer can do without it. Or is there an important diference there? Can someone help me out?:confused:

Vous êtes trop forts!
    Merci beaucoup!:eek:

< Previous | Next >