rifatto (chirurgia)

• Paulfromitaly

Italian
    I think rifatta (when dealing with plastic surgery) can have very negative overtones in Italian too...?
    Definitely :)
    When you say a woman looks "rifatta" you want to point out she looks kind of fake/weird as she either had bad surgery or too many jobs done.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    So, can I infer that "Sei completamente rifatta!" is not a very nice thing to say to a dear friend?In that case you might say, the plastic surgeons certainly done a good job with you.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    So, can I infer that "Sei completamente rifatta!" is not a very nice thing to say to a dear friend?.
    That's very rude :)
    Not only you make it clear you can tell she had a few jobs done, but you also imply she doesn't look good at all.
    It's exactly like saying to someone who's wearing a wig "hey man, your hair is fake!"

Tonza

English - U.S.
    I know this thread is a few days old, but ever since I read it I knew there was a way to say this that I just couldn't remember until now. We could say (at least in American English) that "he/she has had a lot of work" or "he/she has had a lot of work done". That way you don't have to specify the body part as you do with nose job/boob job.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    :warning: NEW QUESTION :warning:

It seems that there isn't any different expression to say"donne rifatte" avoiding to criticize them than "women who has had a lot of works done".

I have read that rebuilt/repaired/fixed women sounds negative, but can be used anyway to shortly refer to that kind of women...?

"...come tutte quelle donne rifatte che partecipano a quei parties organizzati per gli uomini d'affari durante i convegni internazionali"

"...like all those fake/repaired/rebuilt women who take part to those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"

I don't mean to be negative (although a bit critic,yes...) I only want to clearly refer to a certain kind of woman.

Maybe in my context the right one is "...like all those barbies...."? Does this expression sound clear to English ears?

Thanks

Last edited:

Enigmista

Italiano

It seems that there isn't any different expression to say"donne rifatte" avoiding to criticize them than "women who has had a lot of works done".

I have read that rebuilt/repaired/fixed women sounds negative, but can be used anyway to shortly refer to that kind of women...?

"...come tutte quelle donne rifatte che partecipano quei parties organizzati per gli uomini d'affari durante i convegni internazionali"

"...like all those fake/repaired/rebuilt women who take part to those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"

I don't mean to be negative (although a bit critic,yes...) I only want to clearly refer to a certain kind of woman.

Maybe in my context the right one is "...like all those barbies...."? Dies this expression sound clear to English ears?

Thanks

Lore se posso ti consiglierei (e io direi) simply : Plastic Girls

Hope it helps

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Hum... questo non mi veniva proprio...!:)
    Però googleando non mi pare un termine così chiaramente utilizzato per riferirsi alle "donne rifatte" in senso generico..........
    ???

Enigmista

Italiano
    Hum... questo non mi veniva proprio...!:)
    Però googleando non mi pare un termine così chiaramente utilizzato per riferirsi alle "donne rifatte" in senso generico..........
    ???

A me no suona nuovo affatto...anzi...ci hanno fatto anche delle canzoni ;)

http://www.testimania.com/testi/tes...i_other_33398/testo_plastic_girls_496290.html

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=852084

Penso che comunque renda l'idea della donna finta/rifatta/fake

Aspetta qualche native per vedere se potrebbe rendere il senso ovviamente :)

elfa

English

It seems that there isn't any different way of saying "donne rifatte" avoiding criticizing them, other than "women who have had a lot of work done".

I have read that rebuilt/repaired/fixed women sounds negative, but can be used anyway to refer in an abbreviated form to those kind of women...?

"...come tutte quelle donne rifatte che partecipano quei parties organizzati per gli uomini d'affari durante i convegni internazionali"

"...like all those fake/repaired/rebuilt women who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"

I don't mean to be negative (although a bit critical,yes...) I only want to refer clearly to a certain kind of woman.

Maybe in my context the right one is "...like all those barbies...."? Does this expression sound clear to English ears?

Thanks

Hi Lo :)

Hope you don't mind a few corrections. :)

I think "plastic women" might work rather than "plastic girls". If you google the phrase, there are quite a few examples of it, though it would have to be obvious what you were referring to.

"Barbies" doesn't mean that the women have had plastic surgery, it just means they look like a Barbie doll i.e. super pretty with long blond hair, long eyelashes, possibly wearing a mini-skirt etc.

I've not personally heard the expression "rebuilt/repaired women" and the description "fake women" could have other connotations. :)

Last edited:

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Hi Lo :)

Hope you don't mind a few corrections. :) Not at all, thank you!

I think "plastic women" OK I will use this might work rather than "plastic girls". If you google the phrase, there are quite a few examples of it, though it would have to be obvious what you were referring to.

"Barbies" doesn't mean that the women have had plastic surgery, it just means they look like a Barbie doll i.e. super pretty with long blond hair, long eyelashes, possibly wearing a mini-skirt etc.
    OK

I've not personally heard the expression "rebuilt/repaired/fixed women".OK, good to know.

Thank you:)

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Ohhhh...we have lots of those here in LA and Beverly Hills.:)

...knows her plastic surgeon personally.
    ...had too many visits to the plastic surgeon.
    ...has been under the knife too many times.
    ...she looks just like Michael Jackson.
    ...she is trying to look like Michael Jackson.
    ...she owns the Botox factory.
    ...her belly button is now a dimple in her chin.
    ...plastic people.
    and on and on.

Use Google with jokes plastic surgery and you'll see more.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Thank you!
    In effect I was looking for various, different options.
    @ AB: it's another good option, but I was looking for something more "dry"/sarcastic...:)

I wonder if can I say, after Tim's tips:
    "...like all those "Michael Jackson" who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"
    "...like all those "Botox factories" (this one I have invented after Tim:D ) who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"
    "...like all those plastic women/people who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"
    "...like all those ...................(are there further options...?) who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"

Thanks

Last edited:

AlabamaBoy

American English
    Botox junkies
    poster children for the cosmetic surgeons board of Beverly Hills
    contenders for the title of most surgerically enhanced woman of the year
    women with more plastic surgery than Joan Rivers

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "...like all of those "Michael Jacksons" who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions":tick:
    "...like all of those "Botox factories" who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions":tick:
    "...like all of those plastic women who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions":tick:
    "...like all of those remodeled/overly surgerized/overly modified/overly doctored/overly tweeked/ (women) who take part in those parties organized for businessmen during international conventions"

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Thank you Tim! I understand that according to many the best one seems to be "plastic women", but I give the thumbs up to "Botox factories"...:D
    (Alabama periphrasis are also funny!)

Last edited:

cecil

USA American English
    Botox junkies:thumbsup:
    poster children for the cosmetic surgeons board of Beverly Hills
    contenders for the title of most surgerically enhanced woman of the year
    women with more plastic surgery than Joan Rivers

josie88

Italian
    New question!

I've already read through the thread but I couldn't find a suitable translation :(
    I'm currently translating an headline which says: "fisico da pin-up, labbra rifatte (forse), stile anni sessanta". I don't want to change the nominal structure of the sentence so I can't use "she had a lip job".
    I'm wondering if "fake lips" would be ok or if it has some other meaning. Do you get the idea of "rifatta" in this case?

Tonza

English - U.S.
    I far prefer "fake lips". To be honest "blown-up lips" sounds strange to me, and sure enough when I googled it I got almost exlusively...unsavory websites. Furthermore, in this situation I don't think you could use "lip job" at all even if you didn't mind changing the sentence structure...for some reason that's one body part that can't be used with the common expression like "boob job" and so on. In my opinion "fake lips" is the most natural (forgive the pun!) way to say it.

macforever

Italian
    Stando in tema, parlando di una ragazza "Carina, ma tutta rifatta", chiedo se posso tradurre con "She's pretty, but totally made of".

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Stando in tema, parlando di una ragazza "Carina, ma tutta rifatta", chiedo se posso tradurre con "She's pretty, but totally made of".

Made of what, macforever? "Made of silicone" would cover certain aspects of being rifatta; but if she's also been botoxed, and had a face-lift, nose-job, liposuction, and the works, "made of xyz" isn't broad enough. "She's pretty, but it's all fake" would be the (rather cruel) way that I'd put it.