Rifinitore/trequartista (football)

Hello mates,
how would you translate the word "trequartista/rifinitore" when talkin about football?
Here's the context: "Il rifinitore o trequartista, un ruolo a metà tra attaccante e centrocampista, ha la funzione di fornire gli assist agli attaccanti."
Thanks in advance
Peppe

• k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    Midfielder. If the specific individual has the tendency to go into the attack himself, he is often described as an attacking midfielder. Or he could be a defensive midfielder.

Midfielder. If the specific individual has the tendency to go into the attack himself, he is often described as an attacking midfielder. Or he could be a defensive midfielder.
    Thanks k_georgiadis for your help.
    However the translation for 'offensive midfielder' is 'centrocampista offensivo', too generic in my opinion. Trequartista is that footballer who plays just behind the strikers, while 'an offensive midfielder/ un centrocampista offensivo' could also be the left/right wing.
    Hope I've made myself clear...
    Peppe

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    Midfielder (with a descriptive of his playing tendencies) is the only term that I know. However, there are several Britons on the Forum that may be able to help further.

JamesBrock

English
    Attacking midfielder is good, you could also say he's a Play-maker. In football you often say that someone 'plays in the hole', behind the two strikers.

Hope this helps

roboir

Ireland, English
    Some English journalists based in Italy, e.g. Brian Glanville or Paddy Agnew, used to say " a three-quarters player".

Other suggestions (mine and elsewhere):

- advanced midfielder
    - offensive midfielder
    - attacking midfielder

< Previous | Next >