right off the grill

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers:
Context:
Romans frequently grabbed a quick bite to eat at home, right off the grill, or bought a meal to go. Sound familiar?
What is the meaning of 'right off the grill'? Does it mean 'not cooked'?

Thanks in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, TL.

What is the meaning of 'right off the grill'? Does it mean 'not cooked'?
    No. It means "they took it directly from the surface of the grill and ate it." The sentence tells me that they were eating cooked meat with their hands rather than eating it from plates.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi, TL.

No. It means "they took it directly from the surface of the grill and ate it." The sentence tells me that they were eating cooked meat with their hands rather than eating it from plates.
    Hello owlman5,
    Thank you for your help. How right you are! The whole text is below. The blue part explains what you have told me. Are you a wizard?;)
    Archaeologists have also uncovered many houses with small barbecue grills. However, few of these houses had sets of dishes. Taken together, these pieces of evidence suggest that Romans frequently grabbed a quick bite to eat at home, right off the grill, or bought a meal to go.

Then, archaeologists found evidence that Romans also ate in a hurry, didn't they?:D

TL

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. I certainly don't have any magical powers, TL. I've been speaking English for over fifty years now, so it was easy for me to figure out what "right off the grill" should mean.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    You're welcome. I certainly don't have any magical powers, TL. I've been speaking English for over fifty years now, so it was easy for me to figure out what "right off the grill" should mean.
    Hello owlman5,
    I figured that out. But, when I ask something and teachers tell me the explanation right away; I always say to myself 's/he has to have some magical power!' Just joking.:)

TL

< Previous | Next >