right vs correct

hamlet

Français (FR)
are those two words always interchangeable? Could you say "Turned out she was correct" or "that sentence is right grammatically speaking"?

• ljosalfar

English - Southern England
    The first one is acceptable (if old-fashioned/formal) - the second is not so acceptable, but still usable in informal speech (it's uncomfortable to my ears because of the polysyllabic following words, and because 'grammatically correct' is a stock phrase).
    'Correct' has more specifically the sense of accurate, or well-formed, or acceptable, and is a more precise and formal word.
    'Right' is a looser term, more au courant in speech in particular.

hamlet

Français (FR)
    Generally they translate as follows:

Correct = correct
    Right = vrai / juste / bon
    yes well in French "cette phrase est juste" is the exact same as "cette phrase est correcte" but in ENG it doesn't sound right : "that sentence is right", although I feel (correct me if Im wrong) that if you're intending what it means is true (eg "life's hard!"), you could use that word.

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    OK, yes, that's a fair point - I guess that's why I said "generally". As padmavyuha noted, though, you will hear "that sentence is right", even if it's not the best word for the context.

In a sense, "right" is closer to "true", whereas "correct" basically means that there is no mistakes. Maybe that explanation is more accurate.

sound shift

English - England
    are those two words always interchangeable? Could you say "Turned out she was correct" or "that sentence is right grammatically speaking"?
    I do not think "right" and "correct" are always interchangeable.

If the subject was a person, I would use "right":
    "(It) turned out (that) she was right.":tick:
    "(It) turned out (that) she was correct." :cross: In WR, I often see "You are correct", but I don't use it myself.

If the subject was a thing, I would use "correct":
    "Is that sentence correct, grammatically speaking?" :tick:
    "I think his analysis is correct." :tick:

< Previous | Next >