Rimontaggio and follatura (wine tasting)

GiulianoFromItaly

Italian
Hi,
I am translating from Italian into English an article concerning winemaking and wine tasting. Could anyone help me with translating two technical terms into English? They are "rimontaggio" and "follatura". As for "rimontaggio" literally means "recast" or something like that, and I understand it refers to the phase in which the fermentation outputs from different sort of grapes are mixed before aging. Incidentally, I have a problem also with "aging", because it seems that Italian distinguish between a "early" aging into barrels, which is "affinamento", and a later aging into bottles, which is "invecchiamento" ("aging" literally). Whereas it seems to me that English does not have any such distinction. But, again, maybe some expert make come to the rescue?

Thanks a lot!

Ciao!

• k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot help you specifically but, if you google "winemaking terms" you will get 233,000 hits. I couldn't possibly go through them but perhaps you can start by browsing through THIS one.

baldpate

UK, English
    Hi Giuliano & welcome,

I cannot speak as a winemaker - only as a long-term aficianado of the product :).

In that role I can confirm that we don't have separate terms for the two stages of ageing. We speak of "ageing in barrels/casks" followed by "ageing in the bottle".

For "rimontaggio" , my dictionary (Hoepli) gives "pumping must over the grape dregs", which is consistent with this wiki article, and seems a little different from your description (but I may have misunderstood). I can't help with "follatura", which my dictionary reports as "wine-crushing" - a meaning about which I have doubts.

miri

Italian
    As to "follatura" the best I can do is trying to explain what it means because my dictionary, like Baldpate's, gives only "wine pressing".
    "Follatura" is the process by which marcs are pressed down to the bottom of the vat so that they will not turn sour and to speed up fermentation.

GiulianoFromItaly

Italian
    Thanks a lot to everyone,
    I think "rimontaggio" is not what I thought (it was a guess from the context), but indeed what the wiki page says. Thanks also for helping with the two phases of aging (in barrel, in the bottle). If you have any suggestion for a short expression (couple of words) for "follatura" and "rimontaggio" (they show up in a side comment in brackets in the Italian text), it is the most welcome.

Ciao and thanks a lot again!

baldpate

UK, English
    A belated addition :

this article from Proz suggests that the terms "pumping over" and "pumpover" are equivalent to "rimontaggio". It certainly sounds reasonable, given the description in the wiki article linked in post #3.

Alez66

italian
    Tanto per continuare l'argomento chi mi sa dire come si traduce in Inglese "rimontaggio", l'operazione che si fa spostando il mosto dal basso del serbatoio alla parte superiore? Grazie

Alez66

italian
    Grazie Laura per il benvenuto e per l'aiuto, mi sembra una buona risposta quella della discussione.
    Now here I am con altri quesiti.
    Sto preparando una visita guidata in una cantina e mi servirebbero dei suggerimenti.
    Come tradurre: serbatoi vinificatori, palmento, diraspa-pigiatrice, affinamento, barricaia, fermentazione malolattica.
    Grazie ancora anticipatamente e spero di non chiedere troppo.
    Alessandro

anglomania1

UK English
    Grazie Laura per il benvenuto e per l'aiuto, mi sembra una buona risposta quella della discussione.
    Now here I am con altri quesiti.
    Sto preparando una visita guidata in una cantina e mi servirebbero dei suggerimenti.
    Come tradurre: serbatoi vinificatori, palmento, diraspa-pigiatrice, affinamento, barricaia, fermentazione malolattica.
    Grazie ancora anticipatamente e spero di non chiedere troppo.
    Alessandro
    Hi there,
    this is a bit of an old thread but as wine-making is my speciality I thought I'd answer these questions.
    rimontaggio = pumping over
    follatura = punching down
    serbatoi vinificatori = vinification tanks (or vats for vasche)
    diraspa-pigiatrice = crusher-destemmer
    affinamento = it's basically the same as ageing, it's just that the Italians don't like the sound of the term ageing as they say it has negative connotations!! So they use affinamento, you could say maturation.
    barricaia = barrique cellar
    fermentazione malolattica = malolactic fermentation

I have to say that "palmento" I've never heard of!! Are you sure it's a wine term??
    Hope this helps some people in the future:),
    Anglo