ring-around-the-collar

musina83

ITALIANO
Hello folks,

I can't understand the meaning of this sentence:

"Or this laundry detergent would prevent you from having embarrassing ring-around-the-collar."
Source: (pages 210-211) The Story of Stuff, written by Annie Leonard.

Could you please help me about its translation into Italian?
Thank you very much.:)

• Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Can you please provide some context? (Such as, what is the text about and what is the preceding sentence?)

musina83

ITALIANO
    Can you please provide some context? (Such as, what is the text about and what is the preceding sentence?)
    The context is about advertising, how it influences us. The preceding sentence is:
    "The ads I remember from my youth focused on why a particular product was better than its competitors: for example, one dish soap had special ingredients that made your glasses sparkle or removed the soap scum from your plates."

takashimiike

italian
    Credo si tratti di quello spiacevole alone giallastro (dovuto a sudore e sporcizia in genere) che si forma sul colletto (e sulle maniche) delle camicie.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Credo si tratti di quello spiacevole alone giallastro (dovuto a sudore e sporcizia in genere) che si forma sul colletto delle camicie.
    Esatto ;) (ma con la parola "collar" si parla solo del colletto, non le maniche)

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    I remember ads for laundry detergents and additives (when I was little - so in the last Millenium!;)) talking about "ring-around-the-collar." It was one of those inventive advertising phrases that stuck, because descriptive and catchy.

In Italy I remember another TV ad for shirts done by Maurizio Costanzo (ages ago), where he used the term "collo-fit" - also an invented term).

< Previous | Next >