rinse her out

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A girl is under hypnosis in a room with the hypnotist and some government people. After they interview her, one of them tells the hypnotist:
— All right. Rinse her out and give her the usual abduction rigmarole.
The hypnotist then leans toward and stares into her eyes. Later the girl, again under hypnosis by another doctor, says that the first hypnotist was "stealing her memories".
The X-Files, episode Jose Chung's From Outer Space

Does that mean "rinse her brain/mind/memories out by some suggestion"?
Thanks.

• Myridon

English - US
    Why did they hypnotize her the first time? At a guess, they removed her memories of what the "government people" did and replaced them with memories of being abducted by aliens.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    That phrase is one of the examples used in the Collins English/Russian dictionary:

rigamarole translation Russian | English-Russian dictionary | Reverso

(The last entry on the left--I'm guessing the entry on the right is the Russian translation.)
    But I don't need a Russian translation:) I know what it basically means in context and how it is translated.
    Why did they hypnotize her the first time? At a guess, they removed her memories of what the "government people" did and replaced them with memories of being abducted by aliens.
    So, "memories" is metaphorically the substance that is "rinsed out", like you rinse the insides of your cup out when washing it, right?

Packard

USA, English
    But I don't need a Russian translation:) I know what it basically means in context and how it is translated.

So, "memories" is metaphorically the substance that is "rinsed out", like you rinse the insides of your cup out when washing it, right?
    I don't think it is a metaphor. I think that they are essentially "reformatting her disc" (that is a metaphor:D). They are wiping out her memory. It is not clear to me that they are replacing it with another.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Ir they aren't using a physical liquid, I'd say "rinse out" has to be a metaphor. A hypnotist is using special techniques to remove all traces of her memory.

< Previous | Next >