"rinsing" tea bags

< Previous | Next >

niveau-un

Nepali
Can I use the word "rinse" for the action of brewing the tea by moving up and down , like in the following sentence:-
Rinse the tea bags for 5 minutes until they give a dark color?

• heypresto

English - England
    I don't drink the stuff, but I believe we usually talk about 'infusing' tea bags. 'Rinsing' sounds like you are manipulating the teabag under running water for 5 minutes before squeezing it dry. :eek:

Copyright

American English
    If I used anything, I think it would be "move" -- Move the teabags around in hot water for five minutes to give a dark color.

This assumes the teabags have strings on them. If they don't, you could use Stir the teabags around in hot water ...

On a practical note, I don't know anyone who would move or stir their teabags for five minutes unless they had a high tolerance for boredom. I've found that just letting at teabag sit in the bottom of the cup and giving it a final jostle or two before taking it out of the water has the same effect as moving it all the time.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    There is a word "steep" that is often referred to in the making if tea or infusion drinks.
    "to soak or be soaked in a liquid in order to soften, cleanse, extract an element, etc"

It is what is happening whether you move the teabag or not. "Steep for 5 minutes with occasional agitation" will convey your meaning (unless you actually do mean non-stop agitation for 5 minutes!)

< Previous | Next >