rip (or ripping) CD

< Previous | Next >

HectorZ

Argentina
Continuamente me encuentro hoy día con este término. Aparentemente significa "grabar" o "quemar" un CD, pero no encuentro confirmación en ningún diccionario.
Gracias por la ayuda.

• gaer

US-English
    It simply means copy the tracks on a CD to either make another one, make MP3s, or some other kind of recordings.

Last edited by a moderator:

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hola, HectorZ:

gaer is on the right track. I will get a little more technical...
    "Ripping" is converting audio CD tracks saving them into audio formats such as... mp3, wav, wma, vqf, ogg.
    From there you can "Burn" a CD taking the saved audio formats and transfering them to cd.

Leopold

España - Español
    Hello, Gatita, you're quite right.

But I think it also applies to DVD and programs. See this definition:

"DVD rippping" definition : copy the DVD to your hard-drive, without the DVD copy protection screwing up your files.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Just in case anyone cares about the origin of the term RIP:

RIP
    RIP is an acronym for ...
    * Raster-Image Processor, Remote Imaging Protocol, Routing Information Protocol

Raster-Image Processor is not the only word formed from RIP. There are 2 more listed below.

2) RIP is also derived from Remote Imaging Protocol

3) RIP is also derived from Routing Information Protocol

rip: Slang. To encode, compress, transfer, and copy digitized audio or video data from a compact disc (CD) to a computer hard drive. Note: Ripping is usually done with the intent of transferring those files to another user or another device.

< Previous | Next >