ripe for British civilization and Jewish restoration

thetazuo

Chinese - China
Shaftesbury and Montefiore both believed in the divine providence of the British empire and the Jewish return to Zion. The righteousness of evangelical zeal and the reborn passion of Jewish dreams of Jerusalem dovetailed neatly to become one of the Victorian obsessions, and it happened that the painter David Roberts returned from Palestine in 1840 just in time to show the public his hugely popular romantic images of a flamboyantly Oriental Jerusalem ripe for British civilization and Jewish restoration. The Jews were in urgent need of British protection because the competing promises of tolerance issued by the sultan and the Albanians provoked a deadly backlash.

Excerpt From
Jerusalem
Simon Sebag Montefiore
This material may be protected by copyright.

Hi. Does the bold part mean “ripe to be civilized in a British way and restored by the Jews”?
Thank you.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    From the WR dictionary.

restoration
    a putting back into a former position, dignity, etc.

Here's a famous example that is so famous that it has a capital letter (from the WR dictionary entry)

(the) Restoration
    Brit the re-establishment of the monarchy in 1660 or the reign of Charles II (1660–85)

It's often used when referring to the time a political system (or ruler) that was overthrown is put back into power.

So the Jews are going to be restored to their previous position in the Middle East (or some version of that previous position)

kentix

English - U.S.
    True, I overlooked that. And I would now substitute "approximation" for "version" in my entry above.

< Previous | Next >