Ripping out a sticker

blingbang

Italy, Italian
  • Is it "I'm ripping out a sticker out of my lighter" or "I'm ripping out a sticker FROM my lighter" ?
  • The first sentence sounds kind of weird to me. I might be wrong though, so here I am waiting for your opinion.

• Loob

English UK
    Sorry, blingblang. It must be a generation thing. I have no idea what either of your sentences means.

I look forward to other replies, so I can learn something:D

blingbang

Italy, Italian
    Sorry, blingblang. It must be a generation thing. I have no idea what either of your sentences MEAN.

I look forward to other replies, so I can learn something:D

Um... for "ripping out" I mean "removing (as in scraping)" ...

mezzrai

US English
    Then it would be, "I'm ripping (or scraping) a sticker off my lighter."

EDIT: "scraping" sounds better to me, as "ripping" is more a single movement, whereas "scraping" implies a repeated/continuous movement which is more than likely necessary to remove a sticker from something.

blingbang

Italy, Italian
    Then it would be, "I'm ripping (or scraping) a sticker off my lighter."

EDIT: "scraping" sounds better to me, as "ripping" is more a single movement, whereas "scraping" implies a repeated/continuous movement which is more than likely necessary to remove a sticker from something.

Oh okay.. thanks man :)

Loob

English UK
    Is this "lighter" as in cigarette-lighter?

If not, I'm still seriously confused...

johndot

English - England
    I can understand Loob’s confusion. What sort of lighter is it to have stickers on it? Is the lighter a ship? Do ships have stickers on them? Perhaps it’s a lighter ship—you know, a less heavy ship. Perhaps it’s an old-fashioned lighter, like a match. That’s it! A match with stickers. Or just a matchstick. A matchstick with stickers which have got to be unstickered. Or stuckered. Or shipped. Or scuppered...

blingbang

Italy, Italian
    Of course it's a cigarette lighter... by the way I'm not redecorating anything. It just had a stupid smoking warning sticker on it so I've decided to remove it because I was bored and stuff.

blingbang

Italy, Italian
    I can understand Loob’s confusion. What sort of lighter is it to have stickers on it? Is the lighter a ship? Do ships have stickers on them? Perhaps it’s a lighter ship—you know, a less heavy ship. Perhaps it’s an old-fashioned lighter, like a match. That’s it! A match with stickers. Or just a matchstick. A matchstick with stickers which have got to be unstickered. Or stuckered. Or shipped. Or scuppered...
    I laughed so hard I almost threw up.

Loob

English UK
    Of course it's a cigarette lighter... by the way I'm not redecorating anything. It just had a stupid smoking warning sticker on it so I've decided to remove it because I was bored and stuff.
    It would have been useful to know that from the outset, blingbang.

Please provide more context next time:)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Though this is not a line of reasoning that I usually bring up, there may be a BE/AE division on this. It didn't occur to me to wonder what a lighter was, nor to think that it needed to be explained. Mezzrai and Franzi seem to have assumed they understood as well.

Forero wondered about the stickers. I can't tell whether lighter was a problem for him, too.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    I'm aware of the second meaning, but I've never heard the word lighter used in the US to describe a boat. We would invariably say barge (and I certainly wouldn't consider a barge a ship!).
    We rarely go to the trouble of saying cigarette lighter. Lighter is sufficient, most of the time..

Forero

USA English
    I had never heard of or read about a barge-like sort of "lighter" before this thread. I thought immediately of various devices for lighting things (fireplaces, stoves, candles, etc.). But I could not imagine ripping a sticker out of any such device, so I suspected the original poster had chosen the wrong word for whatever had the sticker in it.

I was hung up on "ripping a sticker out". I recently got my dog a haircut because I was always having to pick the stickers and burrs out of her fur, and I paid good money to have someone de-sticker my yard and garden. My image of a thorny kind of sticker was not very compatible with any kind of "lighter" I could imagine.

The clue to "ripping a sticker out" was "scraping". "Ripping out" and "scraping out" mean very different things to me, so for "scraping" to explain "ripping", I suddenly suspected it was a stick-on kind of sticker, not a stick-in kind of sticker. Then I realized that the difference between on and in might be confusing to a speaker of Italian, so why not off and out?

Once it was confirmed we were removing "a sticker" from the outside of something, I was no longer confused about the right wording of the sentence, no matter what a "lighter" might be, though now I was fairly sure we were talking about some sort of fire-starting device, smaller than a breadbox, that perhaps came with a little white square price sticker attached.

In hindsight, I think a warning is appropriate to most any "lighter", but a sticker does not seem like the best medium for a proper warning. However, if people must attach a sticker to a lighter, I would rather they stuck it on the lighter than in it. :)

< Previous | Next >