ripping us left and right

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/04/unmarred-lago

Quotation: ON THE campaign trail, Donald Trump suggested there would be no state dinners on his watch for “the heads of China” who were “ripping us left and right!” He proposed to just “take ‘em to McDonald’s and go back to the negotiating table!” Yet on April 6th the president will welcome President Xi Jinping to his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, for a two-day visit which will include no soggy burgers and perhaps little discussion of the US-China trade imbalance that so irks Mr Trump.
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about the bold part.

"left" and "right" suggest "left wings" and "right wings", but I think it just means "ripping us in half". Is it correct?

• Seestern

German-Germany
    I think that "left and right" in this context means "everywhere", "all around" because Trump feels (highly) critical of them.

Seestern

German-Germany
    No, I assume he means "cheating us whenever they can, e.g. by copying our products."

Later in the text there is a reference to Steven Bannon who was the co-author of Mr Trump’s inauguration speech, which read: “We must protect our border from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies and destroying our jobs, Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength.”
    or: "....have all railed against America’s large trade deficit with China, which they attribute to China unfairly favouring its producers, and recommended tougher enforcement of trade rules or, in Mr Navarro’s case, import tariffs on Chinese goods"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >