1. davlyn7 Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    J'ai récemment lu ce proverbe antillais:

"Ris du riz, tu pleureras pour des lentilles"

Je le peux traduire en anglais mais je ne comprends pas ce que le proverbe veut dire - ni en anglais ni en français. Pouvez-vous m'expliquer le sens de ce proverbe? Merci beaucoup.

Davlyn7

2. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
  3. davlyn7 Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you - but what is the literary meaning - what is the intent of the proverb, its message? Do you think it implies that pride comes before the fall, that good times will be followed by problems.?

Many thanks for responding.

Davlyn

4. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    Hibouette's link says "If you laugh today, you'll cry tomorrow". I had never heard the proverb, but I think maybe "If you let yourself be affected by small things, you'll be constantly moaning", and I'm thinking of using it on my kids...

5. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    As it's about food, it's a mix between both of these proverbs.

Let's say you have plenty to eat (fruits, patatoes, meat...):
    rice appears to you as a really uninteresting and little thing to eat (especially if it's "boiled rice with nothing added in it")

but when there's no more "good food" and only "lentils", you'll cry over it (and the rice by that time appears as a delicious dish)

Je connais pas de proverbe equivalent :

"moque toi d'une chose, tu pleureras quand il te restera moins que ça"

Maybe "la roue tourne";"on ne sait pas ce que le destin nous réserve"

Edit :
    here are other interesting african proverbs that can carry the same meaning:
    "L'eau chaude n'oublie pas qu'elle a été froide."

"Ne jette pas la provision d'eau de ta jarre parce que la pluie s'annonce. " (Togo)

6. davlyn7 Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you for your responses and for your interesting insights.
    Davlyn7