Riservare uno sguardo

< Previous | Next >

aramesh

Italian
Buonasera,

vorrei tradurre in inglese questa frase: "Riserva ad ognuno dei personaggi uno sguardo che scandaglia i loro sentimenti più profondi".
Si riferisce ad un autore che dà uguale dignità a tutti i suoi personaggi, eroi e antieroi.

Quel "riserva", ovviamente, mi ha messo in crisi.

"He has for each of them a look that plumbs their deepest feelings".
Potrei usare "to address" in qualche modo?

Grazie per l'aiuto!

Aramesh

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi aramesh,

"Uno sguardo" strikes me as being even more problematic here than "riserva"; I don't think "a look" is going to work. My feeling is that structure of the sentence may have to be changed around a bit, and so it would help to know what the sentence before and the sentence after it are (in Italian). It'll make it easier to find a natural-sounding translation.

aramesh

Italian
    Thanks, @theartichoke!

The sentence before is the list of types of characters, such as prostitutes, assassins, children, etc. In each short-story the author focuses on one of this typology of characters, never judging but rather showing pietas.

Here "look" means to me "care, attention".

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    I was thinking of the word "bestow" as in
    He is able to plumb the depths of each character's feelings, bestowing his gaze on every one of them.

aramesh

Italian
    Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, @rrose17! Both "to bestow" and "gaze" fit properly!

Could "to bestow" also work with "a place in history" as "riservare uno sguardo... e un posto nella storia (altrimenti negato dalle cronache giornalistiche)"... Otherwise I'd add a "to give them a place in history...".

Thanks again!

rrose17

Canada, English
    Could "to bestow" also work with "a place in history" as "riservare uno sguardo... e un posto nella storia (altrimenti negato dalle cronache giornalistiche)"... Otherwise I'd add a "to give them a place in history...".
    Bestow elevates the author's stature perhaps, makes them sound a bit regal and beneficent, but an author can be said to bestow certain characteristics upon their creations. It doesn't sound odd.

< Previous | Next >