rivisitazione

danidanii

Italian
I'm having some trouble in translating "rivisitazione" in English, because I'm not sure a 'litteral' translation (rivisitation) would be any good. I mean it as generally referred to the arts, design or fashion, as in:

l'architetto ha concepito questo edificio come una rivisitazione del tempio greco
the architect has conceived this building as a X of an ancient Greek temple

or

questa collezione di xy è una rivisitazione degli anni cinquanta
this collection by xy is a X of the 50ies

Thank you in advance!

• danidanii

Italian
    Thank you!
    Yes, these give the general sense but the Italian word is more specific.
    Visitare in Italian means to visit, the artist metaphorically visits the ideal place (be it a temple, a song or an evening dress) and reinterprets it in his own fashion, which in nuance is different from only being inspired by.

Maybe reinterpretation is a more fitting translation. Anything similar in English?

Nicosito

French /UK English - bilingual
    Revisiting does exist in English and could perhaps be used to this effect. You can attempt to revisit your own past (or someone else's historical past in this example). It would be the same metaphor if I'm not mistaken.

Nico.

london calling

UK English
    Revisiting does exist in English and could perhaps be used to this effect. You can attempt to revisit your own past (or someone else's historical past in this example). It would be the same metaphor if I'm not mistaken.
    Actually, thinking about it, you're right you can say "..revisit '80s fashion", or "revisit modern/Greek/Ropman architecture":). I don't know why I thought at the time that it sounded odd....:(