roaring abyss / roaring of abyss

onitamo

Serbo-Croatian
Please, what is correct to write in following sentence?
I am translating from Croatian translation of Russian video 'Tunguska explosion'.

"Elders talk about the sinister places, which they call "roaring abyss"
orElders talk about the sinister places, which they call "roaring of an abyss"

I had also few choices for adjective of noun 'abyss', "rattling of an abyss" or "rattling abyss"
"thundering of the abyss" or "thundering abyss"
"rumbling of the abyss
Which word is more suitable to describe very strong ,loud, sound which is like deafening the ears?

Thank you!

• ron1759

U.S. - English
    'Elders talk about (the) sinister places, which they call "roaring abysses."'

Remove "the" before "sinister places" if the narrative has not mentioned them previously.

"Roaring" or "thundering" are probably the best adjectives because they indicate loud noises.

e2efour

UK English
    A deafening noise of the kind you describe can be ear-splitting or roaring.
    But this is not an abyss. As far as I know, no crater was found, only an area in which the trees had been flattened.

It is not clear from the context what is meant by sinister places and roaring abyss. Did these places exist after the explosion or during the explosion, for example?

onitamo

Serbo-Croatian
    But this is not an abyss. As far as I know, no crater was found, only an area in which the trees had been flattened.It is not clear from the context what is meant by sinister places and roaring abyss. Did these places exist after the explosion or during the explosion, for example?
    their old scriptures are talking about strange phenomena on some places were from underground coming out fiery pillars and such roaring was heard.Such places they called sinister or evil ( threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble) and it is called 'roaring abyss' (abyss like Hell; the bottomless pit, chasm)
    Maybe some other words are more common in english, instead 'sinister' or abyss?

There was no crater found, but there was an old ancient , dead volcano, and even before explosion, people have seen...and they know from their old scriptures above discussed already....

"Over the crater of the ancient volcano
    witnesses have noticed before Tunguska explosion,mysterious phenomenon:
    a giant pillar of fire,...
    and so on

Thank you, ron1759, for correction:)

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I see no reason why an abyss would have to be making a noise for it to be thought of, or referred to as 'the roaring abyss' - it could be perfectly silent, and it might not even be an abyss, as such.

srk

English - US
    I don't understand, Beryl. What might it be "as such"? "Silent" and "not an abyss" are hard for me to connect to "roaring abyss".

Last edited:

onitamo

Serbo-Croatian
    it is described in old scriptures , people were hearing a deafening ear-splitting sound sometimes coming from deep underground and they imagined or associated it with hell, and hell is imagined like something deep, without bottom=abyss, where is terrible noise..
    and I found on Google search title "Nokturne - White Roaring Abyss"(Youtube).My god,you can hear also roaring abyss:D

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I don't understand, Beryl. What might it be "as such"? "Silent" and "not an abyss" are hard for me to connect to "roaring abyss".
    An allegory, perhaps, eg. 'the green-eyed monster', neither green nor a monster; or a simple misnomer, eg. 'floppy disc', both rigid and square.

srk

English - US
    “Floppy disc” isn’t quite fairly a misnomer, because they used to be floppy, and because what is contained within the square envelope is round. But I can accept that “roaring abyss” could be a misnomer for something neither roaring nor an abyss. Are you saying that, because there is no accounting for what superstitious people might say, anything will do?

The possibility of allegory leads me to the same place. If jealousy is a green-eyed monster, I suppose jealousy can be a roaring abyss too. Maybe they’re talking about jealousy.

I guess you’re saying that it doesn’t matter. Onitamo’s job is to say what the elders are saying — whatever that is — but in readable English. I misread your post #5 to say, more or less, that anybody’s back yard might be described as a roaring abyss.

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I was merely observing that with a subject such as this, there may be more to it than thinking literally can supply. It should be noted that I made that observation prior to the OP letting us know that the there was a chasm, and that it was indeed thought to produce a racket.

< Previous | Next >