"roasting tin" and "baking tin"

< Previous | Next >
  • Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Well, you roast meat in one and bake pastry or breadstuffs in the other.

These are, I think, predominantly BE terms. I've always roasted meat in a roasting pan. I'm not quite sure what a "baking tin" would be. I am familiar with a variety of specialized metal or ceramic bakeware, including pie pans, round and square cake pans, loaf pans, and baking or cookie sheets. The only thing I know about that involves baking and is called a "tin" is a muffin tin, although I think that is also called a muffin pan in AmE. I wouldn't know what to bake in something called simply a baking pan or tin. Maybe it's a vaguer term for a loaf pan.

I don't do much cooking or baking, and those who do may use additional terms for other specialized equipment.

I have roasted meat in a cake pan, but a roasting pan is a specialized piece of cookware and the term is not synonymous with "baking" anything.

airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    I would say there is a difference. A roasting tin (or pan in my neck of the woods) is usually large and deep so that a roast can fit in it nicely. Some come with a grill for the roast to sit on top of so that it doesn't sit in the drippings. A baking tin or pan can come in many different shapes and sizes depending on what is being baked: cookies are baked on flat and shallow pans, muffins in special muffin pans, bread in long, narrow and deep pans, cakes in round pans, and so on.

See pictures of baking tins here.

See pictures of roasting tins here.

parriparri

italian
    thank you very much!!
    Now the differences are clear! Nevertheless it's still hard to find two different italian words, we used to call both the tools "TEGLIA"

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I wouldn't call either a roasting pan or a baking pan of some kind a "tool." I'm not sure what the general term would be. A "tool" is something you hold in your hand, like a hammer or screw driver. In the kitchen, I would not use "tool" for a knife, fork, or spoon, but I would for a spatula, turner, a cheese grater, or a manual can opener.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would say there is a difference. A roasting tin (or pan in my neck of the woods) is usually large and deep so that a roast can fit in it nicely. Some come with a grill for the roast to sit on top of so that it doesn't sit in the drippings. A baking tin or pan can come in many different shapes and sizes depending on what is being baked: cookies are baked on flat and shallow pans, muffins in special muffin pans, bread in long, narrow and deep pans, cakes in round pans, and so on.
    I agree with Airport's distinction. A roasting tin usually needs to be deep, although what he calls a grill I might call a rack (see here). However, to complicate matters, you can have a shallow roasting tin, and it might be called a roasting tray.

A baking tin is generally shallower, and can be called a baking tray too, and if there is hardly any side it's a baking sheet. If it is specifically for cakes - I would probably say cake tin rather than baking tin. If it has a special shape (eg heart shaped), I might call it a cake mould.

Complicated, isn't it? :D

< Previous | Next >