Rock, paper, scissors, match!

• LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    We used to say "ro, sham, bo." I am spelling this as we pronounced it; I have no idea if there is a correct spelling. I have never heard anyone say "match." That would give the game a fourth count, which is possible but weird.

LVRBC

But you still formed the same rock-, paper- and scissor-shaped hands, and followed the same rules?
    Absolutely. This seems to be a Western US thing, according to Wikipedia, and, although there is speculation about the origin of this variant, no one really knows. Like everything one learns on the playground, it seemed absolute and unquestionable at the time, and I am now surprised that it's a regional oddity.

Myridon

English - US
    I had never heard the "roshambo" name until South Park Season 1 Episode 12 in 1998 (when I was in my mid-30s). In that episode, a confused Cartman thinks the game involves taking turns kicking each other in the groin until one person falls down.

LVRBC

Rock paper scissors - Wikipedia

This Wikipedia article says it started in China a couple thousand years ago, moved to Japan, and moved to the west around 1900. It says that "ro-sham-bo" is a reference to Count Rochambeau, who assisted the US in the revolutionary war.
    Yep, and it also says that that is probably a false etiology for "ro-sham-bo," since "Rock paper scissors" did not exist in the US during that period. Keep reading...

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    In which season and episode did was this line said, and who said it?

Simplicity

Chinese
    In which season and episode did was this line said, and who said it?
    Sorry, I forgot which season. I'll tell you next time I watch the episode. I only remember it's Kramer and Mickey who are playing the game.

I watch or listen to Seinfeld every day. Most of my English comes from watching the show. 😊

Simplicity

Chinese
    No idea - don't know the app so I don't know how the game is played. However, I would think it's the virtual equivalent to "1-2-3 go" or the other variations that seem to exist.
    I don't have the app, either. But I just checked the introduction (description?) of the app. It says "Match beats paper." :D

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I don't have the app, either. But I just checked the introduction (description?) of the app. It says "Match beats paper." :D

That would add a fourth element. The 'rules' are "Rock breaks/blunts scissors, scissors cut paper, paper wraps rock." "Match" following "paper" would win because "Match burns paper", but then it's back to the top and in rock vs. match rock would win because "Rock crushes match"... I think.
    I grew up with "Rock, scissors, paper" and "One, two three!"