rock solid/die hard generalist

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello,

“You’ve been in the HR field for 10 years, you’ve worked your way up in an organization and are now a successful HR Director managing a team of HR Generalists and HR Administrators. Making the move to a consulting firm seems like a natural progression for you. Or perhaps you’re a rock solid generalist and instead of working your way up at one organization you want to support multiple clients and you’re seeking a consulting opportunity.”

From https://www.helioshr.com/2015/02/whats-the-difference-between-a-hr-practitioner-vs-hr-consultant/

rock-solid

1 firm and not likely to change

rock-solid (adjective) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

die-hard

: strongly or fanatically determined or devoted

especially: strongly resisting change

Definition of DIE-HARD

What is the difference between “rock solid” and “die-hard”? Can I use “die-hard” here instead?

• Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    They're not the same. "Die-hard" applies to someone who is in firm opposition to someone or something else. A die-hard generalist would refuse to become something else. "Rock-solid" is neutral. A rock-solid generalist is someone who is simply 100% a generalist.

lingobingo

English - England
    :thumbsup: a rock-solid generalist = a generalist through and through

Your attitude to or belief in something can be rock solid, which means steadfast/unwavering. Or the basis of an argument can be rock solid, meaning well founded, logical/provable.

A person can be a die-hard something, meaning a hard-liner in that respect, someone who’s uncompromising.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I read it differently and after reading your interpretations, I'm not sure what to think.

Or perhaps you’re a rock solid generalist and instead of working your way up at one organization you want to support multiple clients

I read rock solid generalist as someone who has solid knowledge in a wide variety of skills. It seems like a contrast to someone working at one company who knows the minutiae of that company inside and out but might not know other areas of the field because they lack direct experience. The generalist knows something of everything.

The reason I say that is because it describes my job. I'm asked to do anything and everything under the sun because I work for different companies in completely different fields. I have more "different" tasks to work on than somebody doing the same job day after day at the same company. Of course they are experts in their particular business but I have to have acceptable skills in a broad range of areas so as not to embarrass myself.

< Previous | Next >