rode in it watery bright

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 25

Quotation: I set out; I walked fast, but not far: ere I had measured a quarter of a mile, I heard the tramp of hoofs; a horseman came on, full gallop; a dog ran by his side. Away with evil presentiment! It was he: here he was, mounted on Mesrour, followed by Pilot. He saw me; for the moon had opened a blue field in the sky, and rode in it watery bright: he took his hat off, and waved it round his head. I now ran to meet him.
===
Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold part, especially "it water bright" here. My guess is as below. Is it correct?

to ride => to appear to float in space, as a heavenly body: A blood-red moon rode in the cloudless sky
it => the blue field
the adjectives "bright" and "watery" modify "the moon".

the whole sentence => The moon, which was watery and bright, "floated" in the blue field.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    rode in it watery bright = rode in that field with a watery brightness

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes. The moon, which was watery and bright, "floated" in the blue field. -> and, watery bright, rode in it:

The moon is often said (particularity in older literature) to ride or sail in the sky.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 25

Quotation: I set out; I walked fast, but not far: ere I had measured a quarter of a mile, I heard the tramp of hoofs; a horseman came on, full gallop; a dog ran by his side. Away with evil presentiment! It was he: here he was, mounted on Mesrour, followed by Pilot. He saw me; for the moon had opened a blue field in the sky, and rode in it watery bright: he took his hat off, and waved it round his head. I now ran to meet him.
    ===
    Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold part, especially "it water bright" here. My guess is as below. Is it correct?

to ride => to appear to float in space, as a heavenly body: A blood-red moon rode in the cloudless sky
    it => the blue field
    the adjectives "bright" and "watery" modify "the moon".

the whole sentence => The moon, which was watery and bright, "floated" in the blue field.
    Helo Irelia,

I'd say this was an image from horse-riding, to match the arrival of Mesrour. The moon rode in the field, and the moon was watery bright. That's to be very literal.

< Previous | Next >