roe dear, baby deer, white-tailed deer

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.
When I go for a walk to the coniferous forest (in Pomerania, Poland), I often meet small animals that resemble Bambi, a white-tailed deer from the American Disney film.
I sometimes see them grazing on the fields near the forest.
I wonder how do you call it in the UK.
Is it roe deer? Baby deer?

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hi wolfbm,
    I would say that it`s a "roe deer" and a young roe deer (Bambi) is a "(roe deer) fawn."

Last edited:

morior_invictus

Slovak
    The deer is one of the biggest hunting games in Poland. It occurs basically in all big forests in Poland, in mountain forests and plain forests alike. There are two species of deers in Poland: European deer, and sita (Asian deer).
    Maybe one of these species?

Source: Deer

In general, a hunters in Poland distinguish between a roe deer and a red deer.

morior_invictus

Slovak
    You can say "Yesterday I saw two roe deer grazing near the forest." or if you wanted to be more specific, e.g. "Yesterday I saw two roe deer, a buck and a doe*, grazing near the forest."

* a doe and a fawn etc.

wolfbm1

Polish
    You can say "Yesterday I saw two roe deer grazing near the forest." or if you wanted to be more specific, e.g. "Yesterday I saw two roe deer, a buck and a doe*, grazing near the forest."

* a doe and a fawn etc.
    Thank you, morior_invictus. :) (I wonder if I will remember it all.)

sdgraham

USA English
    Hello.
    When I go for a walk to the coniferous forest (in Pomerania, Poland), I often meet small animals that resemble Bambi, a white-tailed deer from the American Disney film.
    I sometimes see them grazing on the fields near the forest.
    I wonder how do you call it in the UK.
    Is it roe deer? Baby deer?
    You have two problems here.
    1. You are confusing species (roe deer) with physical development (fawn/baby)
    2 unless you had a pre-arranged meeting with the animals or came face-to-face with them on a trail or path, you didn't meet them. You encountered or saw them.

Moreover, female deer do not have horns, so that alone does not determine whether they are fawns, i.e. very young.

< Previous | Next >