.”
Alenka doesn’t say anything, but something makes her heart tighten, and
she’s angry. She’ll be eleven years old soon, not a child anymore. Of course
she wants a Pony
Source: Amerika Street by Lili Potpara
Q: Does " pony" refer to bicycle here?

• Mohammad Ali1

Persian
    I don't know too.It seems that she is angry of her parents and she wants, along with her toy friends, escape to a street named amerika.

Mohammad Ali1

Persian
    Yes. I thought may be going to America is important for Slovenian. I might be wrong.Because this seem to be a family matter. we don't know why she doesn't like the look on her mother face. At the end, we read that Alenka is small, her father is big...I don't understand what is going on.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Thanks, Andy. I'm also none the wiser.
    Is it more than a coincidence that both the author and the Rog company are Slovenian?

Szkot

British English
    I agree with AutumnOwl on this. The first line - 'It’s been quiet in the apartment for a week with Daddy and Mama not talking' - indicates something is not well in the family. As a result the child has mixed feelings about receiving a present (that she really wants) from her father.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think an irony is being missed here. The girl wants a real pony.
    That thought had occurred to me too (*), but I dismissed it because then the sentence should read "Of course she wants a pony" without a capital 'P'. The two sentences that follow also confirm that she wanted a bike, not a horse:
    She’s wanted a Pony for a long time, so that she can go with Silva and Katarina to “Amerika,” a little side street. It’s been too far away for her, without a bike.

Yes, I think #9 and #11 (now #10) have it.

(*) There is an old German song about a young boy who kept asking his mother for a little horse. She couldn't afford a real one, so she gave him a pair of horses made from marzipan. He cries and says "I didn't want that kind of horse." He kept on asking, and for Christmas he was given a pair of beautifully lacquered horses carved from wood. Again he cries and says that he didn't want that kind. Many years pass, the boy is now a man, and when his mother dies, she gets taken away in a very posh hearse, drawn by four horses. This reminds him of his childhood wish, and now again he thinks to himself that he didn't want that kind of horse, even though they are now real. Very sad. Always brings tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

numerator

Hungarian, Slovak
    What is clear is that something is wrong with the family, but not quite clear what it is. The last few lines make me think the father may have been abusing the girl in the basement and she wants to avoid having to be "grateful". But I may be reading too much into it.