roll on the holidays

stamanu

French by descent and misfortune
I've just come across the phrase "roll on the holidays!" in my bilingual French/English dictionary meaning you can't wait to be on holidays (that's my case by the way!). Is that phrase "roll on ..." frequently used?

Last edited:
  • timpeac

English (England)
    I've just come across the phrase "roll on the holidays!" in my bilingual French/English dictionary when you can't wait to be on holidays (that's my case by the way!). Is that phrase "roll on ..." frequently used?
    Yes, it's quite normal here:). Roll on the weekend, hey?

timpeac

English (England)
    I trust you timpeac, it's just that I've never heard or read that phrase anywhere ! Thanks for your reply anyway.
    Well, it's normal for me anyway - these things tend to be regional so perhaps there will be some people who never say it. Welcome, by the way:).

timpeac

English (England)
    I'm wondering if this phrase is only commonly used in BE? I don't think I've ever heard it before, and certainly not by another American.
    I could well believe that. Here I'd say it was fairly common. People aren't saying it constantly but it is very normal (I'd say!) At a slight tangent I was watching a French film last night and I noticed that the subtitles gave "roll on the new school year!" as a translation at one point (the kid was having a bad holiday) so I know for certain I'm not the only one who says it!:)

< Previous | Next >