Roll sevens with nothing to lose

< Previous | Next >

sia.mak

persian
What is the meaning of the phrase " you rolled them sevens with nothing to lose " ?

In the song entitled "The weary kind " which is a sound track of the "Crazy heart" movie , there is a line that i can't understand

Your heart's on the loose

You rolled them sevens with nothing to lose,

there's ain't no place for the weary kind

Could you please help me to understand that phrase ?

• Truffula

English - USA
    I'm not a gambler but I think I know this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craps

In the game of Craps, players roll a pair of dice. The most common total for two six sided dice is seven. Rolling a seven ends a game, though the actual rules are way more complicated and I don't know the whole thing. But you don't need to, to understand the song; just that rolling a seven means your game was over.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Within the game of craps, rolling seven with a pair of dice can have various results, good or bad. Since a seven can lead to the shooter, the player throwing the dice, ending his turn and resetting the betting, colloquially "rolling a seven" is associated with losing, failure, an end, or even death.

Precisely what this means in this song, aside from the idea of reaching an unpleasant or undesirable ending, I don't know.

sia.mak

persian
    The answers and the explanations seem good but they are too hard for me to understand , I am still confused :( .

Truffula

English - USA
    I'll try to be simpler.

The lines you quoted from the song may mean this: You tried to love, your attempt failed but you were not hurt in the process. Now you are tired.

The meaning is by metaphor with a game played with dice, where a seven means "end game." Combined with "nothing to lose" and it means the game ended but you did not lose anything. "Heart's on the loose" before it means the metaphorical game is love.

"Weary kind" after it means tiredness, and "ain't no place" could mean you can't find somewhere to rest. Given the subject of love, it might mean you can't find a restful new relationship to rest from the 'game' of love too.

sia.mak

persian
    I'll try to be simpler.

The lines you quoted from the song may mean this: You tried to love, your attempt failed but you were not hurt in the process. Now you are tired.

The meaning is by metaphor with a game played with dice, where a seven means "end game." Combined with "nothing to lose" and it means the game ended but you did not lose anything. "Heart's on the loose" before it means the metaphorical game is love.

"Weary kind" after it means tiredness, and "ain't no place" could mean you can't find somewhere to rest. Given the subject of love, it might mean you can't find a restful new relationship to rest from the 'game' of love too.
    Thank you very much , you saved me from being confused .

< Previous | Next >