Rolls- Royce

Dipti

Member
Hindi gujurati
What would it mean to say "She is a rolls-royce ".The person is talking about the way a girl looks in the article.I read it in an article and found it strange.

Thanks.
 
  • te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Dipti said:
    What would it mean to say "She is a rolls-royce ".The person is talking about the way a girl looks in the article.I read it in an article and found it strange.

    Thanks.
    Hello Dipti;
    In my opinion I would say that it was refering to the fact that she looked very "high classed"
    Due to the fact that a "Rolls-Royce" is a very high classed, expensive car.

    te gato;)
     

    Lakeview

    Senior Member
    Canada - English
    Dipti said:
    What would it mean to say "She is a rolls-royce ".The person is talking about the way a girl looks in the article.I read it in an article and found it strange.

    Thanks.

    Hi Dipti,

    It's not something I would have thought to say, but I would assume it means that the woman is especially attractive. A Rolls-Royce is among the most luxurious, expensive and exclusive automobiles in the world, so one can infer from the reference that the woman in question is quite spectacular. (Please, no comments on how expensive the woman might be, and for what reason ;) .)

    Te gato--absolutely right. That the woman might be high-class could also have been implied. Didn't see your post before I blundered in with mine :) .
     

    VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Because this thread asks about the linguistic meaning of the words, and NOT the way they are perceived by some of its native-speakers,I will leave my comments on issues such as these to the Culture Forum. :rolleyes: :p
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Lakeview said:
    Hi Dipti,

    It's not something I would have thought to say, but I would assume it means that the woman is especially attractive. A Rolls-Royce is among the most luxurious, expensive and exclusive automobiles in the world, so one can infer from the reference that the woman in question is quite spectacular. (Please, no comments on how expensive the woman might be, and for what reason ;) .)

    Te gato--absolutely right. That the woman might be high-class could also have been implied. Didn't see your post before I blundered in with mine :) .
    Lakeview;
    It is ok..blunder away!!:D
    ta gato;)
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    VenusEnvy said:
    Because this thread asks about the linguistic meaning of the words, and NOT the way they are perceived by some of its native-speakers,I will leave my comments on issues such as these to the Culture Forum. :rolleyes: :p
    Since this is a slang usage, anything you have to say about what it might mean to you would be on topic, I think.

    Now, some people might object to comparing an elegant, "high class" lady to a car! :)

    Gaer
     

    Edwin

    Senior Member
    USA / Native Language: English
    Dipti said:
    What would it mean to say "She is a rolls-royce ".The person is talking about the way a girl looks in the article.I read it in an article and found it strange.

    Thanks.

    Here's an example from the web. Lande is a baskeball coach talking about one of his players named Wobbe.

    Lande also says that Wobbe will remind Ute fans a lot of Alli Bills, who graduated last year as the all-time assists leader in school and Western Athletic Conference history. "She's a Rolls Royce kind of a point guard," says Lande. "She not the Porsche type point guard that's low to the ground and lightning quick, but she's very impressive. She can shoot the three and drive to the basket and finish if she needs to. But most importantly, she can get the ball in the hands of the right person. She's also a great leader."

    In this case it just means as the coach says very impressive. And since Porsches are also impressive, he means very impressive. :)
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    Edwin said:
    Here's an example from the web. Lande is a baskeball coach talking about one of his players named Wobbe.



    In this case it just means as the coach says very impressive. And since Porsches are also impressive, he means very impressive. :)
    Ah, interesting. As always, we can never know what something means without context!

    Gaer
     

    Dipti

    Member
    Hindi gujurati
    Hi Edwin,

    Thanks for the example,it really helps.I have never heard it before but I guess people do use it.:)
     

    lsp

    Senior Member
    NY
    US, English
    Deja vu, I just read another post exactly like this one over in Culture. Maybe a mod can do a little merge magic?
     
    Top