Roly-poly toy/tumbler/wobbly man/ weeble [toy]

jakartaman

Korean
What do you call a roundish toy that rights itself when pushed over?

I thought it was a tumbler but no dictionary defines tumbler as that.

Wikipedia says it is a roly poly (or a tumbler). What is the most common word for that toy?

• Andygc

British English
    Wikipedia says "A roly-poly toy, round-bottomed doll, tilting doll, tumbler or wobbly man is a toy that rights itself when pushed over". :confused: The only one of those I've ever heard is "roly-poly", which is a traditional British pudding made with a suet pastry, or an adjective referring to the shape of somebody who has enjoyed far too much of it. I'm not aware of a word or phrase in BE which is normally used to mean a toy like a Weeble.

I had heard of "teeter-totter", but I had to resort to a dictionary to remind myself that it's an alternative for "see-saw".

jakartaman

Korean
    Oh, no! No one calls it a tumbler? And I wonder why Wikipedia says it's a roly-poly toy, or even tumbler, if no one uses that word.

Last edited:

Johnny519

Mandarin
    << Moderator's note: This thread has been added to a previous one. Please read from the top. >>

It's a toy, you can push it over, but it comes back to the standing position after a few wobbles, it's almost impossible to make it fall, what is the ordinary name for this toy? wikipedia gives some names such as poly-poly toy, tumber, wobbly man, round-bottomed doll, tilting doll. I don't know which one is the most common.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It's a toy, you can push it over, but it comes back to the standing position after a few wobbles, it's almost impossible to make it fall, what is the ordinary name for this toy? wikipedia gives some names such as poly-poly toy, tumber, wobbly man, round-bottomed doll, tilting doll. I don't know which one is the most common.
    I know this as a "roly-poly (pron. /ˈrəʊli - ˈpəʊli/) doll."

I suspect that "weeble" is some sort of trade name and looks quite recent and of specific design.

Johnny519

Mandarin
    Thank you PaulQ.

It seems that roly-poly doll is a generic name and weeble is a brand name, are they both every common names? If you tell your kids( maybe around 5 or something) that you would buy them such toys, would you use either one of the names you said?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I would not use "weeble" unless I specifically wanted a Weeble brand one. Iwould say,
    Me: "OK kids! Let's go out and buy a roly-poly doll. A really big one!"
    Kids: "What's a roly-poly doll?"
    Me: "They're great! They are weighted at the bottom and when you knock them over, they spring back up again."

< Previous | Next >