Romantic Love is fear of waking up alone

tampachemist

English
Hallo alle. Ich brauch Ihre Hilfe. Ich versuche aus dem Englisch überzusetzen.

"Romantic Love is fear of waking up alone."

My initial thought was to use this construction: "Die romantische Liebe ist Angst, von der man allein aufwacht."

I decided that wouldn't translate correctly. Is this the proper translation:

"Die romantische Liebe ist Angst davor, allein aufzuwachen."

Vielen Dank,

Matt

• KnightMove

German/Austria
    Yes, that's correct. But either you use the definite article "die" for both "romantische Liebe" and "Angst", or none.

Edit: Reflecting a few seconds: "Romantische Liebe" is the correct literal translation, but not very usual in German. I can't give a better translation without context, but possibly "Verliebtheit".

Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    "Verliebtheit" and "Romantische Liebe" are different things. I think "Romantische Liebe" is the best possible translation in this context. It is not that unusual in German.

KnightMove

German/Austria
    It is not that unusual in German.
    Maybe it's not really seldom used, but far less than the English expression, and I definitely don't think that it does have the same meaning. Regarding terms for love & sexuality and their meanings, English and German are very different.

tampachemist

English
    Sorry that I can not be more helpful on the context. It's just a phrase I wanted to translate into German. I'm glad that the prepositional adverb-infinitive construction works though. Thank you for your help.

Matt

< Previous | Next >