Romantic

Elisabeth

England and English
I have an essay to write and the title is about the representation of the Romantic hero. My tutor has written romantic with a capital R, which I assume is to differentiate between the adjective and the genre of romanticism. Does this mean that I have to continue to use a capital R when referring to the Roamntic hero?
Thanks

• Eddie

USA - English
    Hi, Elizabeth!

Generally speaking, there's no need to continue capitalizing that word unless it's part of the title of your essay. If you want to specify it as a genre within your essay, simple italicizing of the word is sufficient. I'm sure you will receive many responses to your question in due time, and you may choose the one that seems most reasonable to you.

Good luck on your essay!

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Elisabeth said:
    I have an essay to write and the title is about the representation of the Romantic hero. My tutor has written romantic with a capital R, which I assume is to differentiate between the adjective and the genre of romanticism. Does this mean that I have to continue to use a capital R when referring to the Roamntic hero?
    Thanks

Hi Elisabeth;

You would have to if you were using it as the name of the hero....but if you use a modifier you do not have to...

Names of relationships only when they are a part of or a substitute for a person's name. (Often this means that when there is a modifier, such as a possessive pronoun, in front of such a word, we do not capitalize it.)
    • Let's go visit Grandmother today. Let's go visit my grandmother today.
    • I remember Uncle Arthur. I remember my Uncle Arthur. My uncle is unforgettable.
    te gato;)